Default Itunes Help Please.

I have connected an external hard drive to my PC,and dragged the whole of the My Documents folder to it. This folder also contains the My Music folder containing the files for Itunes.So I now have two complete My documents folders (one on each drive). How do I get Itunes to find the new location. I have looked around, someone told me to highlight the first song on the library, then somehow highlight the whole list of songs. Then delete the whole lot and reinstate them from the new location.Is this right ?.If so could somone give me clear instructions on exactly how to do this please. It has taken me many hours to compile my library, and I dont want to make a mistake and loose the lot.Many thanks
    Badger

Default Re: Itunes Help Please.

Edit>Preferences>Advanced

From there you can change to your new path

Thanks for your reply. I just tried that twice but nothing has happened. Do I have to empty the itunes library first, if so how do I do that?.

Did you quit Itunes after you changed the folder to the folder on the external hdd?

Sorry I am not very Pc minded. I did not quit .However I just now closed itunes ,then reopened it....but no change.

Hmm dont know if you can move the settings. You maybe able to move the MP3's to the external hdd

Like I say, all the files are already on the new drive, I think I need to delete the original playlist from itunes, then reimport from the new location. I am loathe to try this though, until I am sure of what I am doing.
    Badger

Dont know then. I know moving the Mp3's should work. I've done it here it works

All I did was copy them to another partition, delete the songs in Itunes, then change the folder under preferences, then readd the new songs from the new partition. Like I said, I dont know or think the settings will work (if this is what you're trying to do as well)

Just click on File ... then Add Folder to Library and browse to your new drive and select it.
    iTunes will then add your music files (stored on the external hard drive) to the iTunes library.
    "If it's not on fire, it has to be a software problem"

Core i5 2500k / 1 x 90GB Vertex 3 SSD / 1 x 250GB WD Black Laptop HDD / Radeon 6850 PCI-e / Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-e

Which is what I said, BUT I think Badger wants the settings to work from the external as well. Which I dont think is going to happen