Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Needs a reversed Cougar! tuiruru's Avatar

Default Help needed with apparent DEFRAGGLER “stall” following advice on a previous post

Help needed with apparent DEFRAGGLER “stall”
    Following the advice from a previous post I installed Dfraggeler cosasn’t happy with what Win Vista Home Premium was doing with it’s built in defragger. My C drive is nominally 320 gigs . Running Defraggler it told me that the used space was 83.2 g, the free space was 205.2 G and that the total Space was 288.4 G. Of that 47.3 G (57%) was fragmented (as a footnote I couldn’t really believe that – I’m not a “Power User” – true I test out some suggested software from PC World (NZ) and Netguide and then get rid of them but still ..... it seemed to me pretty high. And Vista’s defrag tool hadn’t reported anything that high).
    Anyway, I started to run it last night and it seemed to stall on 40% (presumably the amount of work it thinks it needs to do). So I stopped it after about 5 hours (hadn’t been watching the progress on the screen)

This morning I exited everything in the task bar, set the “Power Options (I’m running Vista Home Premium) to “High Performance” and started again.
    Things seemed to be going pretty well (progress was down to 38% defrag) when it hit a file called “windowa\winxsxs\msil_system\servicemodel.Install_ b77a5c...(their dots not mine)\system.SeviceModel.Install.dll “where it’s been stuck for 2 hours and 10 minutes. The question is “What do I do?” Abort or let it try and work it’s way thru?

PS I’m not criticising anyone who suggested this piece of software
    PPS Would running Defraggler in safe mode help? I don’t really know how these things work.
    Noli illegitimi carborundorum

As I hurtled through space one thought kept crossing my mind. Every part of this capsule was supplied by the lowest bidder.
    John Glenn

Default Re: Help needed with apparent DEFRAGGLER “stall” following advice on a previous post

Try performing a chkdsk /r on it. May be file system errors.

Default Re: Help needed with apparent DEFRAGGLER “stall” following advice on a previous post

Err wot do I do? Go START>RUN and type in what you've said or do something else? Thanks for your help

As I hurtled through space one thought kept crossing my mind. Every part of this capsule was supplied by the lowest bidder.
    John Glenn

Ifindoubtgiveitaclout

I tried defraggler once & got rid of it cos it was a pain. I use Auslogics disc defrag now. Got it from an Aussie magazine disc. Ashampoo do Winoptimizer, that's got various utilities in it. Have a look at any of the Aussie magazine disks for free full versions. Sorry to diss the pc world disc, but it's often got very little of anything useful on it
    I like the Auslogic one because you can adjust the priority to high, walk away & leave it & the jobs done quicker that the others I've tried + it hasn't played up.

Quote Originally Posted by tuiruru View Post
    Err wot do I do? Go START>RUN and type in what you've said or do something else? Thanks for your help
    Run>cmd>chkdsk X: /r

Replace X with system drive letter

Blam

I use smart defrag works great small footprint and can be scheduled it's free too

Hi Blam 6

I did START>RUN chkdsk /r and it thru up a couple of bad sectors. Actually did it twice - 2nd time OK. Have tried Defraggler twice since then and altho the number of fragmented files and total fragments drops a bit each time it still stalls at 38% defragmentation, so I run it again, the figures go down a bit and then it stalls at 38%. Do I need to put the CMD bit in after the RUN statement? Should I try the other defrag utility you suggested or the one gary67 has sugeseted in case they work in a slightly different wy and will get round the problem? All advice from anyone gratefully accepted - I'm starting to get a bit exasperated!
    Thanks

John Glenn

Try performing the Defrag in safe mode.

You can try another program-but I doubt it'll fix this..

Some people say defrags should always be done in safe mode but I never do as I have smart defrag scheduled to run once a week just before my weekly backup is scheduled to run

Hi Blam 6 and Gary 67

Thanks for your help so far

I've tried a couple of things and seemed to have created more problems than I've solved. Since it's late I'll get back on this tomorrow (Sunday) so please watch this space - I-m probably going to need all the help I can get!

John Glenn