Default Help with new router/modem ..

My Netgear wireless router stopped working 2 nights ago, it was working fine one minute then the next minute the internet no longer worked, I unplugged the router and just used the modem, internet worked no trouble!
    Thing is, there is more than one person in the house that uses the internet, and wireless is the best option to go as we don't want cords running all through the house, I went out and purchased a Belkin router with a built in modem, the ADSL light kept flashing on and off as well as the internet light, I rang Belkin 3 times and they seemed to think it was a problem with the phone line, if it was a problem with the phone line, the phone wouldn't work and my original modem wouldn't work. That is the second time I have had bad luck with that particular product. Anyway, before I go out and decide to purchase another router (Hoping for Netgear again as I'm familiar with that one), could there be another problem?
    Guess it's kind of a stupid question seeing as I probably haven't explained myself too well and nobody is here to actually view it. I tried plugging the netgear back in, but the green tick doesn't light up to say it's ready to go. The Belkin's internet and ADSL lights don't show. I tried ringing my internet company (slingshot) about 9 times, but was on hold for nearly an hour each time I rang, but I don't think they would be able to give me technical help since it's not their product and the modem that they had provided works perfectly well. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks to those who can help!

Default Re: Help with new router/modem ..

A Few things to check on the router ( belkin)

Make sure the following settings are correct.

User name and password( may sound silly, but it happens)

protocol is set to PPPoA

VPI = 0 VCI =100

Encapsulation VC-MUX

BTW - Have a couple of Customers who also have Belkin routers that do "Stupid" things from time to time - and Beklin are as much help as a paper bag in a storm.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    A Few things to check on the router ( belkin)

Make sure the following settings are correct.

User name and password( may sound silly, but it happens)

protocol is set to PPPoA

VPI = 0 VCI =100

Encapsulation VC-MUX

BTW - Have a couple of Customers who also have Belkin routers that do "Stupid" things from time to time - and Beklin are as much help as a paper bag in a storm.

Yeah, all those settings were correct. It's the ADSL light that I'm having trouble with, it flashes on and off when it should be solid. I have tried the only 2 phone jacks in the house and it does the same thing. I'm going to try and take it back for a refund today and hopefully swap it for another router!

Try another phone cable (from the modem/router), going to the phonejack
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 31-07-2009 at 01:54 PM.