Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fair Go and MS

Default Fair Go and MS

Microsoft Xbox - Money for Nothing (Source: Fair Go)

In the last couple of weeks Fair Go has received a minor deluge of complaints from angry young gamers all over the country. They're all under 18, all Microsoft Xbox users and they are all grumpy - and rather mystified.

Xbox users buy Microsoft Points, which they can then use online to purchase updates, games, movie trailers and other cool stuff.

But in June, something changed and now when under 18s try to download stuff they get a very annoying message: Can't retrieve information from Xbox LIVE. Please try again later. Status Code 80153065.
    It turns out that Microsoft have made a significant change, to prevent under 18s downloading "mature content".

They've done it for very good reasons, but we think they've made a complete mess of it. Instead of preventing access to mature content under 18s now can't get access to any content at all - not 15 rated, not G rated, nothing at all.

That's really annoying, but what makes this much worse is that Microsoft haven't stopped under 18s buying points they then cannot use.

We think the information they've provided to Xbox users is completely inadequate, and when we took this up with Microsoft, we were amazed at the dismissive response they sent us.

Microsoft Statement, 21/07/2009.

* Microsoft has taken an initiative in New Zealand to ensure people under the age of 18 cannot access mature content.
    * We are working to limit access to content to the appropriate age group in New Zealand. This will take some time due to technical reasons.
    * We are working to remove the ability for people under the age of 18 to add points until we can resolve this issue.
    * People affected by this issue can be refunded via our customer call centre, which can be contacted through www.xbox.com/en-nz/support or on 0508 555 592.

At Fair Go we love having battles with corporates so it's no surprise when they are rude to us, but we find it quite remarkable that a company can behave so arrogantly toward its customers, especially young customers it will need in the future.

We were taken aback at how difficult it was to get a decent response from Microsoft, but we thought we should keep trying. Finally, after three attempts over a week, here is a rather fuller statement from Microsoft, and one in which they actually say sorry. Well, nearly.

Media statement: Fair Go
    July 27, 2009
    Statement from Xbox LIVE

We regret any inconvenience that this update has created and we are working on developing a solution. This is not a simple matter and we are unable to confirm when that may be, but we will communicate developments with our young gamers.

Until we can restore downloads of appropriate content for under 18s, we are also working on removing the ability for people under the age of 18 to add points that can't currently be spent. We encourage anyone affected by this issue to contact us via our customer call centre for a refund on their Microsoft points purchased. The details are www.xbox.com/en-nz/ or on 0508 555 592.

Our advice - It's very simple, buy a Play Station.
    wipe your paws.

Default Re: Fair Go and MS

PS3 FTW!

It kicks micro$ofts a$$ anyway
    Currently attending MCITP course at AMES I.T. Academy in Hamilton.

A+ CE certified technician

Looking for a casual computer technician or retailer position in the area that can be flexible with study.

Next course: CCNA.

Xboxes have had that many problems that I cant see why anyone would buy one now

Quote Originally Posted by hueybot3000 View Post
    Natal maybe - well, preparation for a future launch of Natal?
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

Quote Originally Posted by hueybot3000 View Post
    The price differance between a Xbox and a PS3, about $400 more for a PS3.
    I don't have either.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

I don't really understand why anyone bought a "nex box", ever.
    It started as an ex-box, now we are supposed to hope it may do a modern miracle and become a future box in the great never-never land in the sky. Want pie with that?
    Last edited by R2x1; 29-07-2009 at 10:40 PM.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Il stick to my computer gaming

Well I didnt want one but got an Xbox anyway Might get another, if I win one of the prizes up for grabs in the Aug netguide

I don't have either and don't have time for playing games

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    I don't have either and don't have time for playing games
    you sad soul, games are friggin awesome
    Multiplayer games are the Shizz "Theres nothing like killing your mates!" Me