Default What to buy? Home Media /LCD /HDD /Windows 7?

Hi there,

I'm moving into a new place and I want a brand new home entertainment/media centre but I'm not sure what technology is in the market, or what technologies work best together. Basically, I need a new PC + big screen TV, and I want to be able to do everything from the lounge i.e. watch TV, surf the internet, download/store/play movies/songs videos, play music at dinner parties. I'll probably need to chuck in some kind of surround sound/stereo as well, although this doesn't need to be fancy. I don't really want to spend much more than $3500, what are my options? A few things I'm kinda keen on are:

Quad core processor + 4MB RAM
    37+ monitor/LCD
    HDTV with ability to record
    Windows 7
    Maybe Blue-ray?

I'm not into gaming and I only need reasonable sound, mainly for playing music when entertaining. I guess the main things I'm uncertain about is what to buy, and how it all links in together?

how would you best deck out a new pad with $3500?

Default Re: What to buy? Home Media /LCD /HDD /Windows 7?

Are you in NZ, or somewhere else? Because, there's no point us telling you what to get, if youre not

I'm in New Zealand. I went into Harvey Normans/Dick Smiths today and got myself all excited slash confused :S

Do you know how to build a system (get the parts and put a PC together)? Probably be cheaper (thats if you want to buy the OS separately, so you dont get all the junk companies like HP // Dell etc pre-install on the hdd).

ie: You would have to buy the motherboard / CPU, ram, case, dvd / whatever etc. Then put it together.

Quote Originally Posted by qhiini View Post
    I'm in New Zealand. I went into Harvey Normans/Dick Smiths
    Forget the toaster shops.

Ring someone like Computer Lounge who have knowledgable people there to help you decided, they also use quality components and have excellent after sales service.

And they'll courier it if you aren't near them.
    wipe your paws.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/htpc.asp

Look there.

Currently Windows 7 would be the easiest option to set up Freeview HD with.

The TV tuner in the Advanced system above has two tuners, so your can watch while you record.

Now decide on a TV/Monitor

If you get the Advanced it leaves $1500 for a monitor. Go for 1080p(full hd)

Then decide on a bluetooth/wireless keyboard and mouse set. The logitech dinovo edge is good.

Blam

Awesome, thanks!

I don't know how to build computers and I don't really know much about the latest hardware. Can I use the HTPC to do regular computer stuff? like run adobe programs, word processing, chat, play youtube?

Also, how would I then go about creating a home network? The HTPC would be communal, but i'd want to section it off so I can do all my own stuff on it. Can I do some kind of wireless set up where I have another screen and keyboard etc connect to the HTPC in my room? I have a laptop too, can this be connected to the HTPC?

Thanks

Where in NZ are you? Someone here maybe able to give some links to whatever. And if you want to get parts, someone maybe able to put it together for you instead

Quote Originally Posted by qhiini View Post
    Awesome, thanks!

I don't know how to build computers and I don't really know much about the latest hardware. Can I use the HTPC to do regular computer stuff? like run adobe programs, word processing, chat, play youtube?

Also, how would I then go about creating a home network? The HTPC would be communal, but i'd want to section it off so I can do all my own stuff on it. Can I do some kind of wireless set up where I have another screen and keyboard etc connect to the HTPC in my room? I have a laptop too, can this be connected to the HTPC?

Thanks
    Yes, if you install something like Windows 7 on it then you can use it also as a normal PC

I see that your want to have the HTPC double as a media/file server?

This should be quite easy-keep all media on a specific drive, then share it over the network.

WHat is your current network setup? Routers/Switches/Wireless adapters etc

Blam