Default TV Tuner Card for normal PC?

I'm looking at getting a TV Tuner card for my desktop computer.

The computer is a normal desktop running Windows 7 (RC), 8800 Ultra GFX card and I have now just bought a Samsung 2333SW which is running at 1920 X 1080. I used to have a TV tuner card WAY back in the day and I believe that it was a WinFast model - the card was good but the software was pretty glitchy.

I have been looking around on websites to see what is on offer now but am a little confused thanks to FreeView and all that jazz. So, does anyone have any good suggestions based on the fact that my monitor can handle 1080 res??

Cheers

Default Re: TV Tuner Card for normal PC?

Well I wouldnt put it on the system yet, until you reinstall the final version of Win 7, if this is what youre going to use. Otherwise, you'll have to do it later

I'm using an Avermedia volar-x tuner (cost $99.00 which supports freeview), since I'm also using an HD monitor (Viewsonic VX2260WM). With Vista 64 bit. Its great, with the channels that support HD. Most of the channels are actually better / clearer than the TV thats here, using the outside aerial (the tuner uses a mini-aerial)

You've got a few choices here:

1) Get a DVB-T TV tuner which will allow you to receive the free to air Freeview|HD television service. This means you'll be able to make good use of your Full HD monitor
    If you are not in a good area for this then you will need to use your roofs UHF aerial, or get one if you don't have one. If you're in a good area then you can just use bunny ears or something

2) Get a DVB-S TV Tuner which will allow you to watch free to air satellite freeview, less clear and lower resolution but still better than analogue

3) Get an analogue TV tuner which will allow you to receive crap analogue TV

You might want to check here to see if you have freeview coverage:
    http://www.freeviewnz.tv/all_about_freeview/coverage

Cheers
    Blam

Quote Originally Posted by Pourhommenz View Post
    I'm looking at getting a TV Tuner card for my desktop computer.

The computer is a normal desktop running Windows 7 (RC), 8800 Ultra GFX card and I have now just bought a Samsung 2333SW which is running at 1920 X 1080. I used to have a TV tuner card WAY back in the day and I believe that it was a WinFast model - the card was good but the software was pretty glitchy.

I have been looking around on websites to see what is on offer now but am a little confused thanks to FreeView and all that jazz. So, does anyone have any good suggestions based on the fact that my monitor can handle 1080 res??

Cheers
    I'd recommend a hauppauge HVR3000. It can do DVB-S or DVB-T (not at the same time). So you can try both. The new WINTV7 will work with our freeview over here. Or failing that you can look at some of the PVR software (Windows 7 MCE, MediaPortal, or NZ written GBPVR).
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

Easiest choice is buying Windows 7

From what I've heard, setting up EPGs and NZ freeview with it is effort less.

Or MediaPortal, but it'll be harder to configure/setup.

Whats your budget for a tuner?

PCI or USB?

Blam