Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Webpages not loading when using laptop

I've tried searching for this problem but can't find anything so here's hoping someone can help.

I've got a Compaq Presario A900 laptop connected to the internet through a wireless modem and until about a week ago, I've not had any problems connecting and viewing web pages. In the past week or so I can connect and open web pages (I'm using Firefox, the latest version), but within half an hour, usually sooner, when I go to post a message on an online forum or just view another web page, I get this message (I was trying to log on to my web mail with Paradise at the time):

"The file jar:file:///C:Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/chrome/en-GB.jar!/locale/browser-region/region.propertieswww.paradise.net.nz cannot be found. Please check the location and try again."

I got this message on my desktop PC a few months ago when trying to log onto Stuff and when I rang Paradise the guy I spoke to said it was a problem at their end, that sometimes when they updated things they reset the address for Stuff incorrectly, which meant no one using that as their homepage could open it. He went away and was gone for ages, but when he got back he said to leave it for half an hour and it should be fine by then - and it was.

However, surely this problem would be occurring on my desktop as well as my laptop - and as I'm sending this through the desktop, it obviously isn't.

Windows had a diagnostic thing that came up on the laptop and it said the firewall could be causing problems. I have Comodo loaded on there but for some reason the Windows firewall was still operating. I disabled it (turned it off or whatever) and restarted the laptop but I got the same error message when I tried to load a web page. The connection icon is showing on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen and it says it is connected, but the pages drop out when I try and post anything or go to another page, or they won't load in the first place.

I don't know if this would have any bearing on the problem, but a fortnight ago some friends came around with a laptop they'd been loaned for an overseas trip. They wanted to see if it would detect wireless networks so they tried it with mine. Unfortunately it kept connecting then dropping the connection on their laptop. I didn't change any settings on my desktop or laptop while they were trying this.

Hopefully someone will have experienced this problem before and will be able to help me fix it as it's really annoying! During winter I use the laptop more than the desktop as I can sit by the fire and surf the net rather than heading into a cold study, so I'd like it fixed please!
    Last edited by Beemer; 12-07-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Default Re: Webpages not loading when using laptop

Uninstall askbar. It looks like this can stuff FF up. If that doesnt fix it disable the addons youre using one by one. If disabling one of them fixes it, uninstall it
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 12-07-2009 at 04:35 PM.

I'll give that a try - but can you please help a drongo and tell me how I do that? Ta!

Go to control panel / add remove programs if youre using XP. Find askbar, uninstall it. Close browsers before you uninstall it. Thats if youre using XP

I found it in the meantime - I'm using Vista but it was the same process. I've just done that on the desktop, so I'll go and try it on the laptop and see if that fixes it too.

When I turned on the laptop it loaded Stuff's homepage with no problems - but it usually does that when I first open it anyway. I've gone in and uninstalled the askbar and I'll report back if I have any further problems. Thanks for your (as usual) prompt and helpful advice!
    Last edited by Beemer; 12-07-2009 at 04:47 PM.

No probs

"...anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation
    of these atoms is talking moonshine..."
    - Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

--------------------------
    "After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch."

I didn't use the laptop for long last night but the problem didn't appear so hopefully that's fixed it. Don't you just love sneaky little applications you end up with even though you don't remember asking for them!

Unless you do a custom install (for whatever), programs like askbar will install. Otherwise, you wont know that it did install. But some programs will ask you (they may not have a custom install) if you want to install whatever. You have to watch the screen, (before you click on next), so you can tick / untick, whatever option. So, sometimes its not the program that installs it (without you knowing). Its the user, not watching what they install.
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 13-07-2009 at 10:02 AM.

askbar installs with burnaware free amongst other programmes unless you click the button telling it not to install it during installation of burnaware