Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Acer Recovery disc

How does it not boot? What stop does it freeze/stop?

Quote Originally Posted by blam6 View Post
    How does it not boot? What stop does it freeze/stop?
    ok...last night we loaded a trial version of Windows 7 on the D drive. It works. So its not the stuffed hard drive like the pc repair man said but XP on C drive corrupted. This must of happened when I removed a program from it. So, can I boot the LT from a spare disc copy of XP using my Windows registration on the label on the bottom of the LT. Then do a repair previous version of windows XP from there? If I stick with Win 7 from D drive I have to down load all the acer drivers and not sure if they are available yet for this 3-4 yr old LT.....Thanks every one for your suggestions.

Lost Cause

You can try doing a repair install, this may or may not fix it. If there's nothing on there you actually need and don't have backed up then why not fully format the drive and reinstall? Otherwise your going to have to go though the process of fixing the master boot record when you remove 7, and a fresh install of Windows is always good.

I suggest you grap the hard drive manufacturers diagnostic tool of their website (seagate = seatools, western digital = data lifeguard) and give the drive a good run though to see if it does actually have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stormdragon View Post
    You can try doing a repair install, this may or may not fix it. If there's nothing on there you actually need and don't have backed up then why not fully format the drive and reinstall? Otherwise your going to have to go though the process of fixing the master boot record when you remove 7, and a fresh install of Windows is always good.

I suggest you grap the hard drive manufacturers diagnostic tool of their website (seagate = seatools, western digital = data lifeguard) and give the drive a good run though to see if it does actually have a problem.
    Is this looking for a hard or soft ware problem on C drive. If I do the above, will I still have to down load drivers afterwards?

Lost Cause

I won't say whether its hardware or software related, but I presume that the "pc repair man" had some reason behind saying the drive was stuffed. He may be completely wrong though, and it doesn't hurt to download the diagnostics tool and give it a run at least that way you should kinda know.

Yes if you do a whole fresh install you'll need to download the drivers from Acer's website, but finding XP drivers shouldn't be an issue since it came with XP preloaded.

Acer loads their systems with alot of bloatware to start of with and then after a couple of years Windows becomes highly bloated as well and its therefore advantageous at times to simply start a fresh.
    Last edited by stormdragon; 27-06-2009 at 10:46 AM.

quite like the idea of doing a fresh install.... Whats the procedure for that. ie: 1st, do I have to do a fresh format of c drive then down load the xp. or can I just over right c drive? ta

During the installation it will ask you what drive you want it on. From there you can also format any drives to NTFS or FAT.

Blam

During the installation it will ask you what drive you want it on. From there you can also format any drives to NTFS or FAT.

Blam
    Blam, in your opinion, would you put the fresh install on c or d and why? and whats NTFS or FAT? cheers

Blam
    Blam, in your opinion, would you put the fresh install on c or d and why? and whats NTFS or FAT? cheers

No difference what letter. They're just partitions. Logically I would put it on C.

NTFS or FAT a file systems for a partiton.

NTFS offers better security, compression and is much better than FAT32. No 4gb file limit either. No place for FAT32 these days

Blam