Default problems with USB ports not working with everything.

This has been going on for a few weeks now, and I'm rather confused. I use a usb mouse and keyboard wich work just fine. Though nothing else works and just causes Explorer to hang up indefenitely, to the point that it can't recover.

My Specs
    os = Vista Ultimate, (I install every update the day its released)
    mobo = biostar ta770 a2+

I use 2 of the onboard ports for the mouse and keyboard. Theres two other ports which I use one for my flash drive, but it started having these problems. The only other 2 ports are a hub connected straight to the mobo with a 7pin cord. So there's no pci card.

The strange part is they work just fine if I boot into safe mode. So I've uninstalled almost everything from the computer to see if there was a driver conflict, but no luck.

I went into device manager and uninstalled ever hub except the ones pertaining to the mouse and keyboard. rebooted and still the same thing.

The only thing I can remember doing last before they started acting up was running CCleaner to clean up my registry, but I've never had problems with it before.

any help would be most appreciated.

Default Re: problems with USB ports not working with everything.

Is the hub powered? Not all USB devices like USB hubs either

I'm not useing the hub, never actually got it to work before. I've got it plugged into a port that is on the mobo.

Smile Re: problems with USB ports not working with everything.

well I might have just fixed it, dont know how. I uninstalled Itunes and Quicktime, then ran CCleaner once more, deleted a whole bunch of files I can always download/instal again, rebooted after my first post and what do you know my flash drive is working again?

Could one of the drivers Itunes uses cause a conflict with the way vista uses the usb ports? This just made my day.

*edit* Also when windoes rebooted, I switched from useing the Aero theme to useing the classic windows theme?
    Last edited by free90free; 24-05-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Are you using the 64 bit version of Itunes?

no, im using vista32, and itunes was for windows32.

I'll try and reinstall itunes to see if it happens again, also my wife just got a free ipod from a friend and that was right before things went bad, but it worked once? It also installed software to be able to use the ipod?

Oh ok then, thought you were using 64 bit. What software did the other ipod need to work?? It shouldnt mess things up if its not Itunes. There's winamp and mediamonkey (just a few programs) that'll also work with an Ipod
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 24-05-2009 at 01:26 PM.

I cant remember what it installed, it might have been a firmware update so the ipod would work with the version of itunes... but I know it installed/updated something.

I've been contemplating to switching to intel or atleats upgrading my mobo to am3 standards anyways so I"m not too hung up on this, I'm just a big fan of anime and dont like wasteing money on dvds just to watch it on my tv. so that flash drive is an important thing to me.