PDA

View Full Version : But I am the Administrator!!!!

supersi
22-05-2009, 05:12 PM
I am trying to install printer software on my Windows 7 PC.
When I first got to this screen Attached file: Untitled1242968996.png (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Untitled1242968996.png) (154 KB). I'm not concerned about driver compatibility as it won't let me get that far anyway. I googled the solution and I followed the instructions.
Basically, I needed to activate the 'Administrator' login that is usually disabled in Windows 7, logout of my own profile (which is an administrator anyway, or so I thought), login as Administrator and try again. I tried and still keep getting the same screen.

I tried running it in 'XP compatibilty mode' as well but got the same result.

Is there something I have to tweak in the Administrator account for the program to accept I am the administrator?

CliveM
22-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Try right click > Run as Administrator

supersi
22-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Tried that, no joy.

wainuitech
22-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Just to make sure first - you are actually logging into the REAL administrator account ??

Giving an account admin rights is not the same.

What you should have is after making the Real Admin account visible, you reboot and there will be your account and the Admin account.

To make the real admin account visible, from your existing account, you would click start, type in CMD, in the results,right click it, run as administrator, then in the CMD box type in

net user Administrator /active:yes

Reboot and there is the real account ???

Blam
22-05-2009, 05:25 PM
1. Click Start
2. Type: cmd
3. Right click cmd, click "Run As Administrator"
4. Type: net user administrator /active:yes
5. Press Enter

Reboot and logon to the new Admin account and try.

To disable again run the command in the 4th step but have /active:no instead

Blam

supersi
22-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I've made the Admin account visible, logged in, right-clicked on program installer file, selecting 'run as administrator' and I get the same problem.

wainuitech
22-05-2009, 09:00 PM
See if this helps - dont install from the Install Disk,

Cant remember the exact sequence, but you will see similar ----open printers / Add printer, follow instructions through - once you get to the drivers, select - Have disk - point to the CD that has the drivers.

supersi
22-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Sorry. I forgot to mention that I got the drivers installed. It's the HP printing utility I need to install. The reason being I need to moderate the print quality settings to stretch-out the toner life. I can access basic printer settings but can't alter quality and speed settings.

wainuitech
22-05-2009, 09:22 PM
Yeah just switched OS's, W7 has the drivers Built into it for the HP laserjet CP1510 so need to use any others - are these the ones you installed.?

Have you tried going to HP's site and downloading the Vista Software for the printer, they "should" work on W7.

Edited: tried looking for the CP 1510 but doesn't appear to be any drivers for that on the HP - NZ site the 1515n the closest.

linw
22-05-2009, 10:52 PM
On the UAC subject, did you go into your user account and set the UAC slider down? Try setting it down to 'never' till you are set up then decide what to do with it afterwards.

Billy T
23-05-2009, 08:23 PM
To make the real admin account visible, from your existing account, you would click start, type in CMD, in the results,right click it, run as administrator, then in the CMD box type in

net user Administrator /active:yes

Reboot and there is the real account ???

I wonder if this would help me? I know I have full administrator rights, as that is the way my W2K computer was set up from day one.

I recently tried to compact my Outlook.pst file and could not get into the relevant screen because allegedly I didn't have administrator rights. I had to transfer the file to my laptop (also W2K and using the same version of Outlook off the same disk), compact it there, then transfer it back.

I am at a loss to understand how I could be denied access, and even more befuddled by the question of how to circumvent the problem. I have never password protected or otherwise restricted any form of access on this computer because I am the sole user.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused: