PDA

View Full Version : Vista: With UAC, is it necessary to make user accounts limited accounts?

utopian201
22-05-2009, 05:54 PM
When I reinstalled XP on a friend's computer, I made her standard user account a limited account. This made it a bit of a hassle setting things up (since they had to be installed under an administrator account), but once everything was set up, the risk from viruses, os corruption, malware etc was greatly reduced.

With Vista's UAC, which automatically executes programs with limited permissions (even if logged in as an administrator), do limited user accounts have any use anymore?

pcuser42
22-05-2009, 06:17 PM
On limited accounts under Vista, UAC prompts for a password for an administrator account. So whether you want to enter passwords every 10 seconds is up to you. ;)

Blam
22-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Limited accounts are still useful, as if a peice of malware decides to meddle around when you're logged in as admin.....uh oh...:p

Saucy
22-05-2009, 11:08 PM
The whole point of UAC is to allow people to run as standard users (http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2007/03/01/confusion-about-vista-features-what-uac-really-is.aspx). Running with a standard user account is definitely the better thing to do for security.

With Vista SP1 the UAC prompts are pretty rare anyway, once you have set up the system. Once I've installed a system used by my family, I create standard accounts for all of them. And myself.

Most of them don't have the administrator password, and have never needed it. Those who like to tinker more, I share the password with to keep everyone happy. I have never had a complaint. They don't get viruses (yet) and it's dead easy to keep the computers humming because they don't have piles of unnecessary software on them.

If you have a fingerprint reader, use that instead of passwords. It's much quicker to swipe your finger than typing a password and clicking ok.