PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Pwr Supply to motherboard

learning
22-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Its been awhile since i actually worked on a PC and building a new PC now with pwr supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 and Gigabyte mb- GAMA790X-UD4P with AMD CPU.

With the power supply i have the normal 20+4 Pin Connector going to main connector unit. Why does it now have a split 4 pin lug attached with the 20 pin connector going into the MB? I m really rusty coz back in the days it was one continuous connector and am so far behind with new connection standards since then...lol

Also theres a separate cable coming out of Pwr supply unit listed as CPU 4+4 Pin with the pin assignment as Pin 1 &2 = Common and Pin 3 & 4 = +12v
Its total of 8 connectors but is separate lug joined together with 4 connectors on each

Somehow i cant these connected/aligned correctly on the MB slot for CPU pwr supply. Am i doing something really dumb or will it only take one and the other is spare (lol)

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2009, 03:57 PM
With the power supply i have the normal 20+4 Pin Connector going to main connector unit. Why does it now have a split 4 pin lug attached with the 20 pin connector going into the MB?

Because newer mobos have 24 pin power connectors. If the connector on the mobo is 20 pin, just connect the 20 pin connector.

Also theres a separate cable coming out of Pwr supply unit listed as CPU 4+4 Pin with the pin assignment as Pin 1 &2 = Common and Pin 3 & 4 = +12v
Its total of 8 connectors but is separate lug joined together with 4 connectors on each

Ones probably for ATX 12v connector , the other for PCI-E cards (which I think can have 6-8 pin connections)

inphinity
22-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Yes, most newer motherboards have a 20+4pin connector. If yours only has 20, then one of the 4-pin connectors is redundant. Also, newer MBs typically have an additional 4pin CPU power connector, which you will need plugged in.

PCI-E is 6-pin.

learning
22-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the first one...

The ATX 12v connector is actually 2 lugs with 4 connectors in each. I dont think thats for PCI-E (theres separate cable for that with the pwr supply) coz the 2 lugs are like joined together, you cant route one from another to some other connector

The connector slots on the motherboard is actually 8 slots and is listed as ATX_12V_2x4
and i cant seem to align both the lugs correctly into these 8 slots hence i was wondering if one is redundant

wratterus
22-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Yep, a lot of the newer PSUs have 2x 4 pin plugs for the +12v. I had a thermaltake PSU where they were actually joined together permanently, I was lucky Asus didn't decide to put a capasitor beside the socket! :p

The new Silverstone I have now, is the same (2x 4pin +12v) but they are not joined.

The two 4x pin plugs are not the same, so theres no way you could put them in wrong without forcing.

You could post a picture of the socket on the mobo and the PSU plugs if you can, that would make things real easy.

There might be an 8 pin for the graphics, but the last two pins are normally seperated.

24 pin power plug and socket has been standard for some time now.

pctek
22-05-2009, 04:13 PM
and i cant seem to align both the lugs correctly into these 8 slots hence i was wondering if one is redundant

It may have an 8pin for VGa as well, but that is usually 6+2pin.

Look at the pattern on the plug, then the pattern of the slot, you should see which way round they line up.
If the board has 8, use 8, if only 4 use just one of them.

learning
22-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Ok thanks i will try again to see if i can get the alignment right.Though logic says it has 8 slots so a 8 pin connector shld fit although the sqr and angled groves dont quite lineup.....Oh well maybe i am just having a brain fart or something...lol

Anyway heres the link to some pics of the lug and mb connector

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv3/smithlee_/

learning
22-05-2009, 05:48 PM
It may have an 8pin for VGa as well, but that is usually 6+2pin.

Look at the pattern on the plug, then the pattern of the slot, you should see which way round they line up.
If the board has 8, use 8, if only 4 use just one of them.

Ok i tried every posible way but i could not get both of the lugs to go onto the connector on the motherboard, the angled and sq edges dont match up with angled and sq edges of the motherboard connector.

Only one matched and fitted ok. And Holaa The System did power on with just one. So theres a spare lug.