PDA

View Full Version : Network keeps dropping

Miami Steve
22-05-2009, 03:25 PM
I have a Linksys WRT54G2 wireless router with 1 PC wired and 2 laptops wirelessly connected. For weeks now I have been having problems whereby the router is losing the internet connection (Telecom Fibre) and it has to be manually reconnected. Sometimes it will not reconnect, other times it will connect, but disconnect again after 3 or 4 minutes. If I'm lucky it connects and stays connected for a couple of days. When it refuses to connect, I get an error message which states "Unable to obtain IP address on PPPoE".

I have rung Xtra several times and while they sometimes resolve the issue from their end, I have recently been told that it is probably my network. What they tell me is that it is either a fault with the router or a fault with my PC's network card.

To prove to myself that it wasn't the router, I plugged the PC directly into the Ethernet port and still could not connect. With the router in place, I could still access the router's admin page to reconnect, so that discounted the network card as a problem.

Questions.

1. Can I set something in the router to automatically reconnect when the line drops?
2. Is there any way I can pinpoint the source of the problem? As I say, I don't believe it is anywhere in the house, but Telecom don't want to know.
3. Is there any software that will monitor the connection (continuously or intermittently) so that I can build up a picture of what and when to present to Telecom? I have been making a note of dates/times when it has been disconnected, but I can't tell how long it's been down.

OS is Windows XP SP3 on the desktop and Vista SP1 on the laptops.

pctek
22-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Try another router

Blam
22-05-2009, 04:31 PM
My guess is that its the modem.

How old is it?

If its quite old ask for a free one from xtra, they should throw you one for free:)

Blam

Miami Steve
22-05-2009, 04:38 PM
The router is 4 months old - and can go for a couple of weeks without dropping off. The first couple of times I rang the help desk I was told that there was an issue with the fibre in our area. Over time as I was getting crap customer service (8am - 8pm Mon-Fri) and I was encountering problems in the evenings and weekends (when I was home to use the internet) I pointed out to them where they could improve. Since then whenever I call, I get told it must be my problem and if they send out an engineer to check it and he decides it's my equipment, they will charge $81. My guess is that as they make it so difficult to contact them, that nobody else in the area is complaining.

DeSade
22-05-2009, 04:49 PM
The techs are good guys, if they confirm its the line then you pay nothing, if they confirm its your equipment then you pay the cost (as you should) if there is no conclusion either way you pay nothing.
Most of the time they bill xtra not the customer.
At least that is in my experience and last time I needed a tech was 3 years ago.

Blam
22-05-2009, 04:51 PM
How old is the actual modem? not the router

Miami Steve
22-05-2009, 04:56 PM
There is no modem. It's fibre, not ADSL.

Blam
22-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Oh sorrry...have you tried updating your NICs drivers then?

Miami Steve
22-05-2009, 05:29 PM
No. But as stated previously, I can still access the Router's admin page - it will just be disconnected from the internet and have no external IP address. This implies that the NIC is functioning properly.

Conversely, plugging the network cable directly from the NIC to the ethernet port when there is a problem connecting through the router and attempting to connect manually, but being unsuccessful, implies that the router is not the problem either.

somebody
22-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I had an issue with Woosh Wireless a number of years back, and had my router automatically redial the PPPoE connection whenever it gets dropped (I think the option was called "connect on demand" or something like that). I was using a Linksys WRT54GL router running the DD-WRT 3rd party firmware at the time.

Is the media converter (fibre to ethernet) supplied by you, or Telecom? Edit: looks like it's Telecom's (http://www.brightspark.org.nz/installers/installing-fibre.html).

Miami Steve
22-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Yeah - it's supplied by Telecom.

Interesting site there somebody......... but my service provider is Xtra :confused:

somebody
22-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Yeah - it's supplied by Telecom.

Interesting site there somebody......... but my service provider is Xtra :confused:

I've only seen the optical fibre termination boxes once at a Telecom facility, and that was only a brief look - which means I probably won't be able to be of much help.

Does any of the equipment in that termination box have any useful LEDs which might indicate what the problem is?