PDA

View Full Version : "SYSTEM" process Acer Aspire 3000

Happy Harry
21-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Hi One and all
I have in front of me my Bro-inlaws lappy
The keyboard is non responsive and occaisionaly there will be movement from the touchpad mouse point. I was unable to get into Task Manager untill I fitted a USB Kbd and mouse.
Once in Task Manager, I could see that CPU usage was running at between 85-95%. Under Processes Tab, the image name "Process" is hogging CPU usage with System idle using the rest.
After much Googling I found several references to similar problems with an indication of a battery problem
I removed the lappy battery with power on and CPU usage dropped straight away to 1-4% as it should be. Putting the battery back in ,the CPU usage stayed at 1-4%.
However, putting the battery back in and rebooting, the lappy then displays the original problem
Does anyone have any ideas what this might be. The battery seems OK. I have written to ACER but as at yet have not received a reply.

Cheers
HH

Speedy Gonzales
22-05-2009, 08:32 AM
What OS is on it?? And is it up to date with updates, including service packs?

pctek
22-05-2009, 12:19 PM
The battery seems OK.

I have written to ACER but as at yet have not received a reply.

Seems? What does seems mean? you take it out, and the problem is gone, you put it back and it reappears. Get another battery.

And thats not unusual when you do I bet its not even helpful.

Happy Harry
22-05-2009, 03:37 PM
What OS is on it?? And is it up to date with updates, including service packs?

Good point.
It is XP Home All updates installed and Service Pack 3 installed

Happy Harry
22-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Seems? What does seems mean? you take it out, and the problem is gone, you put it back and it reappears. Get another battery.

And thats not unusual when you do I bet its not even helpful.

Whoa PCTec!!
"Seems OK" means that the lappy will run on the battery without problems(apart from the high CPU usage issue) and accept a charge when it goes flat. That would indicate to me that the battery "seems OK" (but not proved conclusively)
If I remove the battery, with AC power supplied and the Lappy running, the CPU usage (SYSTEM process) drops immediately. If I then reinsert the battery CPU usage stays low. If I then remove AC power to the laptop, CPU usage still stays low. It is only when I reboot the laptop with the battery installed (either running from mains or battery) that CPU usage and "System" process goes through the roof making the keyboard and touch pad unusable.
It would be good to be able to try with a new battery but as I don’t have a spare this is not an option at this stage.
Thanks for the input

Cheers
HH