PDA

View Full Version : Wot no firewire

ryangeezer
18-05-2009, 08:37 PM
My 4 year old PC just went pop (motherboard apparently), leaving me without the means to import my HD camcorder footage (firewire only). I have a laptop, but it doesn't have a firewire port or slot for a firewire card. Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a USB to firewire converter? Trying to avoid replacing my PC just for the sake of firewire. ANy other suggestions?

If not, I guess I'l have to replace my motherboard........and CPU........and memory.......and video card. I had a quick look and came up with the following;

Asus M3N78-EM (on board video)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750
G.SKILL 2GB kit

Not sure if this will be up to the task of importing and editing HD footage?

Any advice gratefully received

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2009, 08:49 PM
The ram, videocard maybe fine. I would keep them till you replace the mobo. See if they work. Since that mobo has firewire onboard, it should work fine. It'll be better than using USB or USB to firewire adapter

Well the mobo has DVI/VGA and HDMI. So you dont really need another videocard

Blam
18-05-2009, 08:49 PM
There are no USB>Firewire converter. This is because they have a diff. bandwidth throughput.

Looks like you'll have to replace all that then....

Those specs should be enough, but you may possibly need a discrete GFX card if you do alot of video editing,

Otherwise, it should be fine

Blam

CliveM
18-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Have a look at Ascent. They list several cards that may do the job for you at a reasonable cost,

wainuitech
18-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Slot for a Firewire card ??

Do you mean a PCMCIA Card ?? other wise you could use something like This (http://www.laptopuniverse.co.nz/products.asp?product_no=26298)

inphinity
19-05-2009, 08:23 AM
There are no USB>Firewire converter.

Actually, there are, but they're not cheap (about US$100 last I looked) so it's probably cheaper to just replace the motherboard in the desktop PC anyway.

Blam
19-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Actually, there are, but they're not cheap (about US$100 last I looked) so it's probably cheaper to just replace the motherboard in the desktop PC anyway.

Are you sure?

AFAIK they do not exist, and even if they did there would be no benefit in using it, as it would just be at thenormal USB 2.0 speed

inphinity
19-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Are you sure?

AFAIK they do not exist, and even if they did there would be no benefit in using it, as it would just be at thenormal USB 2.0 speed

http://www.pixela-1.com/captycable/
http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-300008044.html

No, theres no benefit, other than being able to connect firewire-only devices (like cameras) to a PC or laptop that has USB2.0 ports but not firewire.

I think both those sites are listing the same cable, have used one from Pixela before for a client who required to connect a camera that only supported firewire in to his laptop.

Blam
19-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Hm, that thing in the middle must somehow modify the bandwidth throughput.

It defeats the purpose of firewire though, no quality or speed gain.

pcuser42
19-05-2009, 03:54 PM
What about a Firewire PCI card (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4a122d5f01157fde2740c0a87f3b0688/Product/View/XH8268) for the desktop?

inphinity
19-05-2009, 04:23 PM
What about a Firewire PCI card (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4a122d5f01157fde2740c0a87f3b0688/Product/View/XH8268) for the desktop?

If the original post is accurate in that the motherboard has failed, I don't see how that will help :)

utopian201
19-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Those specs should be enough, but you may possibly need a discrete GFX card if you do alot of video editing,

Blam

Are you sure? I'm quite certain video editing is all CPU bound and then HDD bound...
In the future, the graphics card will help with rendering, but that is a far way off I think... Currently to use the graphics card to help with video rendering (not editing) you need a fairly recent card (ATi 4800) and you need to use the special ATi software. And even then from what I read, the results are horrible compared to CPU rendering.
Even 3d rendering is CPU bound as far as I know... (unless you get a professional graphics card)

Blam
19-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Things should be faster with a better GFX card-rendering images and video transition effects especially.

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2009, 06:25 PM
You're not actually doing anything MAJOR with video editing. All youre doing is capturing the video, saving it / editing it. Then probably burning it.

The firewire itself is doing most of the work (transferring the video). The videocard has nothing to do with it. Whether you have a crap card or the fastest card, it wont make it any faster.

I could use a crap AGP, it would turn out OK. Or the way I want it. Its not actually rendering anything. If you were doing animation, 3D then maybe it would help, but its video editing, which is completely different.

The picture / video is already there, so youre not rendering anything, you're just cutting things out / maybe adding titles / menus whatever

Blam
19-05-2009, 06:26 PM
We're talking about editing:p

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Yup still doesnt mean you HAVE to buy the most expensive card on the planet to do it