PDA

View Full Version : No color on Svideo connected TV display

sarahg
18-05-2009, 09:51 AM
I have used an svideo connection from my laptop to my tv for many months now. Until this morning, after I did a computer defrag and some registry cleaning, my tv monitor has no color now when connected.

I know it's not a connection or hardware/tv problem because on startup, just before Windows Vista starts the acer logo appears with color! But everytime when vista starts proper, the color goes and the screen size appears a bit smaller on the tv than it used to.

What's most frustrating is that I could do a system restore if my mcafee maintenance hadn't already deleted all the restore points this morning. Arghh ...

Anyone knows what's going on? I've tried changing the resolution and other simple things with display properties but it doesn't help.

CYaBro
18-05-2009, 10:08 AM
CHeck that you have the TV out set to the correct PAL B/G and not NTSC.
Also sometimes it can be set to composite/RCA instead of S-Video which will also cause the colour loss.

If you are in the US (going by the way you spelt the word colour (color) then it will need to be set to NTSC and not PAL :thumbs:

sarahg
18-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks. I'm in the US yep. I can't seem to find the way to set the tv out. Can you tell me where to go for these settings on Vista?

Blam
18-05-2009, 12:14 PM
There should be a hotkey, such as Fn+F5 to output to a monitor

Is that fails right click the desktop>personalize>display settings, then see if the tv monitor is detected there

Blam

CYaBro
18-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Just had a thought, you may be able to set the TV out type in the BIOS - Usuall press F2 while the Acer logo is on screen before Vista starts to load.
This should get you into the BIOS.
Have a look for the TV out type in there and make sure it is set to NTSC.

Changing it in Windows will depend on what type video card the laptop has.
If it is an Intel you should be able to just right-click on the desktop somewhere and go to Graphics Properties on the menu that pops up.

sarahg
18-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Tried that - still can't find a way to set it. I have an ATI card and they have this "catalyst control center" that is so basic it's useless. Very frustrating.

sarahg
19-05-2009, 05:06 AM
After a whole night of tinkering on my computer, I've finally managed to get advanced options on ATI's Catalyst Control software. But disappointingly, although I've set it to NTSC, the color still does not show up.

I can't seem to find and option for svideo, RCA or composite. Any suggestions on where it could be found?

CYaBro
19-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Check that the TV is set to the correct NTSC setting.
Also check that there is nothing else connected to the TV on the same AV input as the laptop.
A lot of TVs have the front AV inputs (AV2 or AV3 normally) on the back of the TV as well and if you have something connected to both then you get the problem you are having.