PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Pro wont load

Espresso_Addict
15-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Here's the story.

Wifes business pc was running but no loged on
I logged on under a spare logon and it hung, only the wallpaper apeared, nothing else.
I powered of the pc by the start button
Restarted it and it races thru the boot up and then nothing, the only sign of life is the green power led and the fan etc. The hardware works ie dvd draw but windows won't load and no red led to say the HD is working.

Any suggestions that I could try without making matters worse ( that would lead to me being dead meat....)

Cheers
Grant

Blam
15-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Can you tap F8 and select safe mode?

Try last known configuration as well.

Blam

Espresso_Addict
15-05-2009, 04:29 PM
I'll give it a whirl now and advise
Cheers

Espresso_Addict
15-05-2009, 04:34 PM
No I can't use F8
Its flashing the post screen in a millisecond and then going blank.
Cant get into the setup either

Could it be the BIOS thats causing the problem??

dzina
15-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Can you get into the BIOS? I so try loading the fail safe configuration. That will remove the Bios from the equation (sort of - not totally but enough to move on to another possible culprit).

Try a boot OS on disk (Knoppix or similiar) and see if you can boot with that. This will tell you the hardware is accessible and not failed HDD or MoBo. From there you may want to save important data while you have some sort of acces to it.

After that if still no go... put your head between your knees and kiss your sorry ass goodbye, your wife is gunna kill you :) Good luck RIP!

Blam
15-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Can you enter the bios?

If you can't even enter the bios, this would indicate a likely hardware problem.

Possibly the Motehrboard, or the PSU

Blam

JJJJJ
16-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Can your wife log on?
Sounds to me like your log on was wrong

Try booting from XP disk