PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

Ron24
14-05-2009, 12:16 PM
This may sound a bit silly, but I wonder if it will work.

Have one set of headphones that are USB powered and another that plugs into the serial ports.

The USB is the primary one. Would it be possible to plug in the serial one's so that two people could use the contact at the same time?..

Please don't laugh, have had problems setting this up and don't want to stuff things up. Ron..

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Probably not. Altho if theyre only headphone (not mic) it may work

inphinity
14-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I assume you're talking about one set of USB headphones and one set with a standard stereo jack?

If so, then probably not, although it depends on the specific operating system and application.

USB headphones will typically have their own sound device, and as such Windows will use either your standard sound card (outputting to the stereo jacks) or the USB sound card (outputting to the USB headphones). There are ways around it, such as applications that will take all sound to the default device & play it to other devices, but I couldn't really recommend a specific app to try.

ronyville
14-05-2009, 01:49 PM
My PC does that with both front and rear headphone jacks, i can plug headphones into both jacks and listen on both at the same time.

Ron24
14-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks all for the reply and am tempted to try it. The reason for this, is that we talk to our son in OZ on Skype and if we can have both headphones working together, would be great.

To Ronyville are you using both headphones with standard stereo jacks? At the moment the USB is plugged into the front of the box and the back has standard stereo points free.

inphinity
14-05-2009, 03:42 PM
If you have WinXP and have two sets of audio jacks, you can plug two standard headphone sets in no problem and both will work. Windows Vista & Windows 7 use different audio device management and this can be troublesome to achieve. And, as I mentioned, if one set of headphones is USB, it is a different story again.

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Some mobos also support output from the front panel and back I/O panel (like this one). Thats using the sockets tho. So it doesnt matter if windows doesnt (its not windows, that deals with it)