PDA

View Full Version : Cable Select - IDE

B.M.
11-05-2009, 11:16 AM
I’ve got a fairly old computer here (Win 98) where the HDD (15gig) will only run with the jumper in the Cable Select position.

Changing the jumper to Master gets the message “Can’t find Operating System”.

There is no second drive on this cable as the CD ROM is on the other IDE port.

The IDE Cable is an 80 wire and I notice it has one strand cut a one end. (Manufactures effort by the look)

I guess my question is “Can these cables with one wire cut only be used in a Cable Select configuration?” :thanks

Rob99
11-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Just set it to what works.

I have found with older computers some will work one way, others both ways, the other way or not ar all.

B.M.
11-05-2009, 12:27 PM
The computer itself is land fill, but I wondered if I recovered the IDE cable (as a spare) whether I needed to label it “Cable Select only”?

In other words, are there different types of 80 wire IDE cables for different configurations?

I’ve always thought one size fitted all but stand to be corrected. :confused:

linw
11-05-2009, 12:54 PM
It is highly likely that the cut wire is the culprit so, yes, if you want to keep it, label it as CS only.

pctek
11-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Pin 28 on the IDE ribbon cable is used for cable select. If a drive sees this signal as grounded, it's the master, but if it floats (unconnected), it is the slave. Since modern IDE controllers simply ground pin 28 at the interface, making one of these cables requires no external signal wires or touching the motherboard in any way.

It should still work as master so long as you don't use the middle connector on the cable.
If not, toss it, IDE cables are common as dirt and mostly obsolete - any shop could give you a new one for nothing.