PDA

View Full Version : Converting publisher files into html

straka01
10-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I have 3x different newsletters emailed to me that I have to put onto their own websites each week & also email them to members.
Up until now I have copied the articles one by one (& the graphics) and manually written the notices in html coding using TABLES for the different articles. I dont worry about creating the exact structure of each page (it doesn't matter whether things are in little boxes or not) - I just list items in paragraph order with their graphics if any. The effect is good/readable & the html files are small. The code of course is without excess rubbish & it doesn't matter how many publisher pages there is. There's just one snagg - it's very time consuming - taking over 3hrs per week!
I have been trying to find a way to put the newsletters onto their existing websites much faster. Pub 2002 (which I use) has got several ways you can convert to html - non of them are very good - creating huge html files & scrambling some of the text boxes.
I do convert the pub files to PDFs & put these on the website as well (that way people can download/print colour newsletters if they want) - but files are generally larger than I like & emailing large files... (well many people are still using dialup). It's an option I provide but not the only way I want to present them.
I spent quite a time trying to find converters using either pub to html or pdf to html. I haven't located anything that works well & re-creates accurate renditions of the original with minimum code.
Somewhere I read that the best idea is to save as html then copy the html code into word & use a html cleanup program. It may work but I couldn't find a good cleanup program.
Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome about getting these newletters online quickly, with minimum size while maintaining easy readability.
I'm not adverse to spending something to get the job done more quickly - so not worried about buying programs if anyone knows of something appropriate.

mzee
10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
I had the same problem and think I have the answer.

1] Install "PDF Lite V2" & "Foxit Reader".
2] Starting with a Publisher file "car 4 sale.pub" size: 8.7mb
3] Load file into Publisher & print to PDF Lite V2"
4] Load Foxit Reader and open the PDF file you have just made.
5] Load "Front Page" (or similar).
6] Create a single cell table and save it with your final file name.
7] Using the "snap shot" tool in Foxit, select a convenient piece of the page, then paste it into Front Page. Continue with the rest of the PDF page, then save the Front Page file.

You now have an html file of 63.4KB including graphics.
Front page will allocate names to the graphics.

kahawai chaser
10-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Thought of a simple blog? Like blogger or wordpress. Then use feedburner RSS or email subscriptions for readers to subscribe. It's what millions do...