PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Firmware on ADSL router

vk_dre
09-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Hi all,

just a few questions regarding upgrading the firmware of my router.

Firstly, I've got a DSL-G604T router, older generation, and I'm with Vodafone (Ihug) on a DSL plan. The D-Link site has a good-ish list of things I need to do when upgrading the firmware.

Now these are the questions I have:

Has anyone noticed any performance increases or stability in connection (i.e., not having to reset the router every few hours) when upgrading to then newest firmware for a router?

For the existing settings on my router, is it okay if I just save them to an xml file, via the router web access page, and load them after the firmware upgrade?

The D-Link site says that the VPI / VCI:
Australia 8 / 35
New Zealand 0 / 100

and that I should be careful when putting these values in.
What are these values?

Apologies if my post isn't as clear as it could be, had a late night yesterday and still feeling a bit groggy but hopefully what I've written above should be fairly clear.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

Cheers,
V.K

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Ive got the same modem/router, but the Gen II version.

All I did was get the update (for rev C). Install it under system, then it'll reboot. The update did fix the issue that it says on the site (the 1st update).

I found that out myself (it locked up). Dont know about the XML file whatever it is, never tried it. Those values are WHAT your ISP will give you when you join whatever ISP. What they do exactly, I have no idea

vk_dre
09-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Cheers SPeedy,

how do i check what revision I have? I clicked on the link
on the DSL page, and it says INVALID HOSTNAME. So
I can't find out how to determine the revision number of my router.

Any insight you may wish to offer me?

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
You log into the router and click on status, the version installed is at the top

Type 10.1.1.1 in a browser. MAKE SURE you install the right revision, since there's an A, B or C. The revision is on the bottom of the router

vk_dre
09-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah I know how to access 10.1.1.1

but its the revision I'm after,

the sticker on the bottom of my router says:

MODEL: DSL-G604T/A1 V.B03

So is my router revision A or revision B??

confusion.

Cheers for the help speedy!

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2009, 04:54 PM
It shows you on the Dlink site. A (http://files.dlink.com.au/products/_images/REV_A.jpg) B (http://files.dlink.com.au/products/_images/REV_B.jpg) or C (http://files.dlink.com.au/products/_images/REV_C.jpg). Or the Generation (http://files.dlink.com.au/products/_images/DSL_Gen_II.jpg)

vk_dre
09-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah I know that, that's is what I was referring to when I said I couldn't see the image.

When I click on the images I get this:

Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)

Hence, me asking for further help.

Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2009, 05:02 PM
WHAT does it says alongside H/W version?? ie: My says C3, so this is a revision C modem.

vk_dre
09-05-2009, 05:29 PM
There is no H/W on mine, but I discerned that VB03 reffered to revision B. I downloaded that revision, did eveything like it said, got a ACCESS VIOLATION when running the .exe file. And now my router doesn't work.

:annoyed:

This is honestly starting to annoy me. Any recommendations on where to go from here?

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2009, 06:01 PM
So how are you getting here then?

If you cant get to the dlink site

Can not access 10.1.1.1

Please note that when accessing the router's Web interface via http://10.1.1.1 you are not accessing some web site on the Internet. The router's configuration pages are built into the router. You do not have to be online to get to those pages, you just need to be connected to the router.

Step 1. Connect your computer's network port to one of your router's LAN ports (Ethernet ports) using a network cable. Verify physical connectivity by checking for solid link lights on the Ethernet ports of the device. If you do not get a solid link light, try using a different cable or connect to a different port on the device if possible. If the computer is turned off, the link light may not be on.

Step 2. Under Control Panel > Network Connections... make sure that your Local Area Connection is enabled and not bridged with any other connection. If you see any icon there which is called 'Bridge' - delete it. If you see your Local Area Connection marked as 'Bridged' - right-click and select 'Remove from Bridge'.

Step 3. Check your IP address. Your computer must have an IP address in the same range of the device you are attempting to configure. Most DSL-series devices use the 10.x.x.x range. If you are attempting to configure a D-Link router, then make sure you take note of your computer's Default Gateway IP address. The Default Gateway should be the IP address of the D-Link router. By default, it should be 10.1.1.1.

- Set your computer with static IP address: Go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties. Select Internet protocol TCP/IP and click on Properties.
Select the 'Use the following IP address' and 'Use the following DNS' options. Specify the TCP/IP settings you want to use:
IP address: 10.1.1.5
Subnet mask: 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 10.1.1.1
Preferred/Alternate DNS: 202.129.64.198 / 4.2.2.3 (or whichever your provider is using).
Click on OK and then OK again.
Try to access the router. Open Internet Explorer and type 10.1.1.1.

Step 4. If unsuccessful in accessing the router's configuration pages, please reset the router. Here is how to reset it: while the router is powered on, press and hold the Reset button for 10 sec. Release the button and wait until the router boots up (1 min). Try to log into it again.

Step 5. Check your Internet settings. Go to Control Panel > Internet Options.
- From the Security tab, click the button to restore the settings to their defaults.
- Go to the Advanced tab and click the button to restore these settings to their defaults.
- Click to the Connections tab and set the dial-up option to 'Never dial a connection'.
- Click the LAN Settings button. None of the options should be selected. Click OK. Click OK out to the desktop and close any open windows.
Restart Internet Explorer and try to access the router.

Step 6. Disable any Internet security software running on the computer. Software firewalls like Zone Alarm, Black Ice, Sygate, Norton Personal Firewall, etc. might block access to the router's configuration pages. Check the help files included with your firewall software for more information on disabling or configuring it.

Step 7. If you still cannot log into the router:
- Recycle the power on the router. Switch the power off. Wait 20 to 30 seconds. Switch the power on and wait for the lights to stabilize.
- Restart the computer.
- Go to: Start > Run > type 'cmd' (without quotes) > OK. In the DOS window type:
ping 10.1.1.1
and press Enter. You should see 'Reply from...' messages.

If your ping was successful, attempt again to access the router's configuration page.
Try these options in the address window.
http://10.1.1.1
http://10.1.1.1:88

If you cannot ping the router check your IP settings. In the DOS window type 'ipconfig' (without quotes) and press Enter. The IP address on your network adapter should be in the 10.x.x.x range. Type 'arp -d' (without quotes) and press Enter. Repeat this command several times until you get 'The specified entry was not found' message. Try to access the router again.
Reset the router. Try using another computer.

If none of the above helps please contact our Warranty Department (RMA).

NOTE: The DSL-G604T routers with firmware versions before 2.x has wireless DISABLED by default. If the router is out of the box, or you reset it to defaults, wireless connection is disabled. In order to enable wireless, you need to connect to it via network cable first.

Or

Router has stopped responding Print
If your modem/router is not responding after changing some settings in it or after unsuccessful firmware upgrade, please try the below steps. Download the latest Firmware for your modem/router. Choose the EXE version of firmware as opposed to WEB (.BIN) version.

Step 1. Try resetting the router to factory defaults by pressing the Reset button at the back of the router for 10 seconds. The router' power should be on when you are pressing the button.

Step 2. Set your computer with static IP address. To do that go to Start > [Settings] > Control Panel > [Network and Internet Connection] > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on the Properties button. Specify the following settings:

IP address: 10.1.1.99
Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0
Default Gateway: 10.1.1.1
Preferred DNS: 10.1.1.1
Alternate DNS: 4.2.2.2

DNS server addresses can be replaced with your ISP's DNS addresses.

Step 3. Temporarily disable firewall and antivirus protection on your computer. To disable WindowsXP built-in firewall go to Start > Control Panel > [Network and Internet Connection] > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties > Advanced > Settings. Set Firewall to OFF.
If you have some other firewall and antivirus software installed, please refer to the software manuals on how to disable it.

Step 4. Make sure that the router is on. Connect one end of the Ethernet cable (blue network cable) to your router and another end to your hub/switch. Your computer should also be connected to the hub/switch. If you do not have a hub/switch, connect the other end of the cable directly to your computer's network adapter.

Step 5. Click on Start > Run and type 'cmd'. Click OK. In the blck DOS prompt type the following commands finishing each one with Enter:
arp 10.1.1.1 -d
arp 10.1.1.1 -d
arp 10.1.1.1 -d
ping 10.1.1.1 -t

You may see messages like 'Entry was not found', it is normal. You should see repeated message 'Request timed out'. If you are seeing 'Reply from
10.1.1.1', your router is already responding.

Step 6. Launch the Firmware Upgrade Utility (the EXE version of the firmware) by double-clicking on it. When firmware upgrade window pops up, select the 'Corrupted Image Mode' option and click Next.
You will be prompted to disconnect power from your modem/router. Disconnect the power cable from your modem router and after about 10 seconds click Next.
You will be prompted to connect power back to your modem/router. Connect the power cable to the modem/router within 10 seconds. Firmware upload will
proceed automatically after that. Click on the Finish button to complete the upload.

Your DOS window should now be displaying continuous messages 'Reply from 10.1.1.1'.

Step 7. Repeat Step 5. Then try to log into your router via http://10.1.1.1. You will be prompted to enter username and password. Username: admin, password: admin.

You can now configure your router for your Internet connection under Home > WAN. Once finished with the settings, click on Apply and then save the settings into the router's memory under Tools > [System] > Save & Reboot.

Troubleshooting
If during firmware upload procedure you got a message 'FTP Timeout. The device IP address is 192.168.12.199' (address may vary).
Close the firmware update utility. Disconnect power from your modem/router. Set your computer with a different IP address as suggested in the message (in this example it is 192.168.12.100.
Then repeat the above procedure starting from Step 4. After finishing uploading firmware (before Step 7), change your computer's IP address back to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'. After loading firmware the modem/router's IP address will be 10.1.1.1.

vk_dre
09-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I didn't want to say it, but I temporarily jumped onto an unprotected AP from one of my neighbours and that is how I have been able to keep you posted about my status with my adsl issues. And yes, I retrieved those instructions for getting the router back up to a working level, my router is up and running, jst loading the configurational info now.

EDIT:Thanks for your help and patience Speedy. The only main issue I've got now is how to load the settings I saved back onto the device. Hopefully that should be rectified soon.

Also, when changing my IP back to dynamic, do I also change the DNS to automatic?

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Run the wizard, change it to wellington auckland, next then PPPOE/PPPOA then next then probably your username (name@adsl.nameofyourisp.co.nz)

Then click on next then type in your DSL password, under that (on here anyway) put VPI on 0, and VCI on 100 and connection on PPPOA VC-Mux, (disable wireless if you dont use it), then next then click on restart and wait for it to finish. Ring DLink on 0800-900-900 (NZ toll free). Maybe better to ask them which update you should get.

Chilling_Silence
11-05-2009, 10:59 AM
When is your router restarting? Regularly? Or randomly?
When it does, how warm is it? Hot to the touch?
Have you been downloading, or using the likes of Skype when it fails?

I'd highly recommend grabbing another router such as the XH1319 from DSE. You'd be surprised what a difference a decent quality router can make!