PDA

View Full Version : Using sata drive as bootable

jcr1
07-05-2009, 08:38 PM
I installed an IDE drive in my new computer and installed os (XP) etc on it.

I have bought a larger sata drive and wish to somehow copy (ghost, I think is the term) the IDE drive onto the sata drive and then make it bootable, dispensing with the IDE drive.

Is this possible?

Blam
07-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Yes, using CloneZilla, or Macrium Reflect
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Or, for paid software Acronis is definetly the best.

Blam

wainuitech
07-05-2009, 10:28 PM
If you like the Acronis Software, but want a free version to simply clone a drive, as long as one drive is a seagate - you can use the Seagate Disk Wizard (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard) - basically the Acronis clone portion/ Interface - even says " powered by Acronis" :rolleyes:

jcr1
09-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks Blam6 & Wainuitech.
I used Seagate, in the end, as the drive I was cloning from was compatible.
And it worked well:clap

I'm now using a Samsung 320gb sata drive. I was hoping to retain the Seagate IDE, as well; and use it in another function. But that doesn't look like it'll be the case as I had some dreadful consequences until I pulled the IDE cable from the Seagate drive.
Obviously there are serious compatibility issues mixing sata with IDE (in saying that the DVD RW is IDE, and it works fine?).

Anyway, thanks guys.

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Nothing wrong with using IDE and SATA on the same system. If there were compat prob, mobo makers wouldnt make mobo's with both of them on it. I'm using a SATA hdd and IDE dvd as well. Its fine.

Blam
09-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Nothing wrong with using IDE and SATA on the same system. If there were compat prob, mobo makers wouldnt make mobo's with both of them on it. I'm using a SATA hdd and IDE dvd as well. Its fine.

+1

IDE and SATA work fine together.

What exactly went wrong?

Myth
09-05-2009, 03:43 PM
I know SATA and normal PATA drives work together fine. Usually takes a slight change in the BIOS setup though (on my motherboard anyway, if I want the SATA to be the bootable disc)

Also, knowing that you use Linux, if you want to copy one partitions contents to another, use dd

example: dd if=device-to-read-from of=device-to-write-to

dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/sda2 will read the contents of /dev/hda2 and copt it exactly to /dev/sda2

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2009, 03:50 PM
The only time you'll have probs (with a SATA hdd) is if its on AHCI in the BIOS and the drivers for SATA arent slipstreamed (Thats if youre planning on doing a clean install, or else you'll crash).

Other than that, all you have to do is select the bootmenu and change it to the hdd. Then save the settings