PDA

View Full Version : Computer freezes after plugging in USB thumbdrive

furrbie
06-05-2009, 10:52 PM
I have a rather old Intel Pentium III PC running Windows XP Service Pack 3. When I plug a Trek thumbdrive into the USB port, Windows completely freezes - mouse cursor will not move, no response to CTRL ALT DEL etc. No warnings or error messages are shown, it just freezes immediately once the thumbdrive is plugged in.

The strange thing is that if I leave the thumbdrive in the port and then reboot the computer, the OS does detect the thumbdrive and everything works normally. Based on this, I did some experimenting and found a sort of workaround to the problem using the following steps:

1. Go to Device Manager.
2. Disable USB Root Hub
3. Plug in the thumbdrive
4. Enable USB Root Hub

After that, everything works fine. While this isn't too troublesome a solution, I am still hoping for a better one to completely fix the problem. I have tried updating the drivers etc but it does not help.

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong? Thanks in advance for any help given.

Blam
06-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Try uninstalling the USB Root Hub and rebooting

And go run>services.msc>make sure plug and play service is running

Blam

furrbie
06-05-2009, 11:10 PM
I have tried uninstalling USB Root Hub and then letting XP reinstall after reboot, but the thumbdrive still freezes the computer once I plug it in.

As for the services, the Universal Plug and Play Device Host service was not started initially, but I have tried starting it and it still does not fix the problem.