PDA

View Full Version : HD4870?? bogged down

toonttm
30-04-2009, 06:15 PM
I have a core 2 quad Q6700 processor with 4Gb DDR2 ram, currently with Nvidia 8600GT gfx card.

I am looking at buying a new gfx card and decided to go the whole hog and buy the HD4870 1GB DDR5. However, I have found around 5 brands with an assortment of prices, i.e:

Hightech, Sapphire, Palit, HIS iceQ4t and the Asus darknight.

Any ideas which one to go for? They all look the same for specs but as I say the price variance is quite wide.

I did find that the darknight was quieter? just how noisy is noisy?

Games: Age of conan, wwii online, farcry2, COD4 etc

(or should am I doing an overkill and maybe look for something else? HD4850?)

Blam
30-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Grab the Asus.

Sapphire and IceQ4T have bad RMAs and Asus is quiet and cools quite well for overclocking.

An ati 4850 can easily play all those games and when you need extra power you can add in another(assuming your mobo supports Xfire).

What size screen and at what resolution?

Blam

toonttm
30-04-2009, 06:39 PM
monitor is HP w2408h HDMI, 24" 1920 x 1200 is factory res

Blam
30-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Ok 1gb 4870 is a great choice then.

No need to get 1gb of VRAM if you've got less than 22" Screen really.

Are you considering the XFX 4870?

cata12
01-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Hello:

Asus and Nvidia launched the new EN9800GT. It's the latest news from the graphic cards sector. Soon it will be possible to use a PC graphic processor to perform other tasks. The graphics-processing unit (GPU) that normally handles only visual effects is taking over duties from the CPU. Usually CPU’s have a single processing core. But graphics chips have dozens of cores that are ideal for parallel processing – breaking complex tasks into smaller chunks which are processed simultaneously.
Image and video-editing applications are the first to take advantage of the GPU. The image quality will be HD compliable. I think the biggest advantage of H.264 over previous standards is its compression performance. Compared with standards such as MPEG-2 and MPEG-4, H.264 can deliver better image quality at the same compressed bitrate or a lower compressed bitrate for the same image quality.
I have already made HD Live streaming and I can show you some demos if you are interested.

Also I found this gaming community where you may find some answers:
[edit: removed URL]

[edit: Interesting how all three URLs for websites you have posted so far on this forum belong to the same parent company, which happens to be your company - banned for not so subtle spamming - Jen (Moderator)]

pctek
01-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Hello:

Asus and Nvidia launched the new EN9800GT. It's the latest news from the graphic cards sector.

The hell it is. Its ancient.

Get the ASUS or a Gigabyte.

dugimodo
01-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I like XFX, followed by Gigabyte and ASUS. Palit are also very good and competitive in their prices.

toonttm
02-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Still reading and thanks for the replies. Forgot about and Tom so did read Tom's hardware site. Interesting piece on how companies used to redesign complete card architecture but now the technology is getting beyond the engineers at places like sapphire etc and they are now only modifing the base card with options like cooling etc, and it went on to say that these companies are finding it harder to compete because they really can't offer anything that much different to anyone else. From a buyer's point of view..oh no/ ASUS is still over $200 more than 'std' ATI card? sapphire is priced in the middle, and Tom's site backed Palit, 4 way comparision of HD4870 cards, cripes...lol

pctek
02-05-2009, 08:20 AM
ASUS and Gigabyte have 3 yr warranties. The rest don't. I stopped using Palit ages ago as they had a high failure rate.

Driftwood
02-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Interesting.
I too have a dilemma deciding on graphics cards, there are sooooo many to choose from.
I used to buy known brands with a warrenty until I had a Gigibyte one die just out of warrenty. Now I just pick out the best value ones on price spy. Check them all out for bad reviews & compare the specs. I finish up with a short list & then the dollar makes the decision. At the end of the day, if they are going to do the same job, is it worth spending an extra $100 for a warrenty.