PDA

View Full Version : Buying advice: Notebook and Win 2000

25-06-2001, 11:53 AM
I want a Notebook running Win 2000, 128 Ram and at a least 20 Gig hard drive. Primarily for multimedia and web mastering on the move (modem) and within a network.

What's a good buy these days?

25-06-2001, 01:52 PM
[spam deleted]

26-06-2001, 03:43 PM
I own a Compaq Armada Notebook with 128Mb Ram & 12G HD. I would suggest you get the fastest processor you can afford - mine is a PIII 450 and although usually OK there are times when more Mhz would definitely be good. Most Notebooks are geared for the business customer & so may not emphasise graphics capabilities in lieu of expensive software & security options. However due to their price ++ talk a deal with the sales person about a better graphics card etc. Also if possible make sure that your notebook comes with a DVD drive, as a lot of games now come on DVD. Something to be aware of is that Notebooks lack decent ventilation and get hot very fast. When playing 'Half Life' the fan (which is temperature related) in my poor machine really screams :-O Anyway I can recommend the Armada range of Notebooks, they are sturdy and very easy to use, it all depends on how deep your pockets are. For example you would be looking at NZ$8000+ for the Armada M700 range which has the specs which you describe.