PDA

View Full Version : Really need some help

akhan01
27-04-2009, 02:10 AM
Hi,

I really need some help in fixing me laptop. I have no idea what is wrong and how to fix it. I turned it on 2 days back and some blue screen came and then it gave me some option to start my windows but then it was keep restarting itself. I read about it on internet and tried to restore that but when it started I had hat blue screen again and then same thing was happening again. I quickly tried to read that blue screen I am not sure but i think it is a driver problem, but I don't know how to look for the drivers and fix it. Would anyone here plz help me, I would really really appreciate that. Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Try booting it into safe mode (press F8, after you reboot)

If XP is on it, (and you get into safe mode, right mouse on my computer / properties (on the desktop). Then go to advanced tab / startup and recovery tab / settings. Untick automatically restart. Then if it crashes it may bring up a blue screen. Tell us what it says

Blam
27-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Yes, tap F8 and select "Disable Automatic Restart" if you can't do it in safe mode using speedy's method.

And try "Last Known Good Configuration" on the F8 menu page

Blam

akhan01
27-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi,

Thanks for all your help. I really need to work on my laptop to complete my assignements by tuesday. I have windows XP. I tried what you guys said and I got this message. Please let me know what to do now. I really really appreciate that. Thanks.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file:savrt.sys

Driver unload without canceliing pending operations

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2009, 03:15 PM
savrt.sys belongs to Nortons AV. If it can boot into safe mode, go to start/run and type msconfig. Untick the Norton AV entries then reboot.See what happens.

If you manage to get into XP, uninstall Nortons AV

Sweep
27-04-2009, 03:30 PM
And install Avast (free) instead. Or NOD32 if you want to pay.

akhan01
28-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi,

I boot into safe mode and then tried to uninstall Norton, but it did not let me delete it through safemode. Any other advice? Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I said untick the entries for Nortons in msconfig, not uninstall it in safe mode.

Once you untick the entries for it it wont start in normal windows. If it boots into windows, then uninstall it. Since its services shouldnt be running

ronyville
28-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Did it give you an error message when you tried to uninstall Norton?