PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with a Dell Inspiron Mini 12 out there

AvonBill
24-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Has anyone had any experience with a Dell Inspiron Mini 12 (its model number is actually 1210)? In particular how well does it play video; say a ripped standard DVD or downloaded video of 640*360 resolution.

I have borrowed one from a colleague for the weekend but it runs a non-optimal version of Ubuntu (it came with Vista Basic). I would really like some feedback from someone who has one running Windows XP with all the supplied drivers. This one's video drivers are very poor and you can't set it to the native resolution of 1280*800. If I try to play a 640*360 clip in full screen mode on Totem Movie Player if fails miserably.

From the reviews I've read I'm pretty sure that it is quite capable of playing standard video I would just like some reassurance a little closer to home.

I really like its form factor. It is only slightly heavier than my Acer Aspire One with a great screen and keyboard.

Thanks in advance.

mabix
24-04-2009, 10:51 PM
I've played with a friends one~ Not too sure about the DVD's, but we ended up putting OSX86 on it. Ran like an absolute dream after a wireless card change. It played video fine in OSX, but I'm sure if you installed XP onto it, you would have no problem. Try putting VLC on your colleague's one if you still have it and see how it runs

I'd still recommend the EEE PC over it though, with the EEE PC 1000H kicking butt all the way.