I am trying to install fresh copy of XP on my friends desktop
Info:
------
I have just installed new
motherboard (asus p5kpl-cm)
cpu(c2d 7400)
ram (Transend 3gig),
new psu (350 watt)

Verified and double checked hardware installation , seems nothing wrong (As i have done this 2-3 times before)

Problem:
---------
Boot from XP CD and finish getting all drivers so XP can ask to get agree to Install
When before reaching to "Agree and Install" Press F8

Screen Goes Blue and Show Fatal Error describing there is something wroing in Hard Disk so I have changed the Hard Disk and Still get same error at same installation stage.

I am sure there is nothing wrong with HD as It was in use before I put new Mobo.

What could be wrong here ? Motherboard ? If it is then can I Take it back to where I have purchased ? (ExtreamPC @ Mt. Alber AKL)
It is purchased 3 weeks a go.

Need Help, so I finish this project this weekend. :) Thanks in advance guys

My Tests :
-------------
Verified that CPU is detected correct
Verify that RAM is detected correct

Speedy Gonzales
24-04-2009, 11:06 AM
I would get a better PSU (higher than 350W for a C2D). Does it show a stop error code like 0xxxxxxxxx?? If it does, what does that say?

What kind of hdd is it ?? SATA or IDE, if its SATA, its not saying it cant find the hdd is it??

Blam
24-04-2009, 11:16 AM
First thing is....what exactly is on the BSOD.

dugimodo
24-04-2009, 11:36 AM
RAM errors will often show up as HDD problems during a windows install - all files pass through memory on their way to the HDD after all.

Try removing and reseating the RAM or try the chips one at a time. Ideally get a bootable CD with memtest or similar and put the ram through at least 1 extended test cycle before deciding it's ok.

I'd agree that a 350W PSU is too low for a C2D but as long as it's a good one and you are using integrated graphics and a single HDD you may get away with it.

Looking at mass produced compact PC's you'd be suprised just how low the wattage often is SFF ATX PSU's of 190-250W are fairly common. These machines however are not desigend to be upgraded, 350W leaves you no headroom for any future upgrades at all

CYaBro
24-04-2009, 11:42 AM
As Speedy said, if it is a SATA HDD you may need to go into the BIOS and set the SATA mode to IDE or Compatible and not AHCI.
XP won't see it otherwise.

Also 3GB seems odd? Do you have a 2GB & 1GB module or 3x1GB? If so I would try one by itself and see if the problem goes away.

babip
24-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Using IDE (just 1 HDD)
I will upgrade to high PSU soon as you guys have suggested

"Does it show a stop error code like 0xxxxxxxxx??"
Yes it does.. something like 0xxxxxxxx32 at end
What is now ?

Its 2 Gb(New installed) + 1 GB (Using one sitting in old P4 PC)

Xavier
24-04-2009, 12:07 PM
i've noticed that i get this error when ever i use a 40wire ide cable..try using an 80 wire instead. it should work sweet.

babip
24-04-2009, 12:38 PM
i've noticed that i get this error when ever i use a 40wire ide cable..try using an 80 wire instead. it should work sweet.

I have no idea what r u talking about ? what is 80 wire ide cable ?
I am using which comes with ASUS Mobo.. its brand new from pack ?
Can you explain more ?
* EDIT*
Thanks Xavier,
I know the diff now.. done some 'gogling' in lunch time... Cheers !

Blam
24-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Yes, try another IDE cable

This one may be faulty

your mobo should have come with 2 IDE cables. Try the one with thinner lines:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/z_000524wires4080.jpg

Blam

babip
24-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Yes, try another IDE cable

This one may be faulty

your mobo should have come with 2 IDE cables. Try the one with thinner lines:
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/z_000524wires4080.jpg

Blam

Sweet, I will tonight.

babip
24-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Sweet, I will tonight.

hi fellas,
its 11.22 at night, I am not sure what was going wrong yesterday when I was installing XP. I have done following today to work.s)

* Turn off PC completed from wall and leave for 2 mins.
* Removed RAM from mobo and refit after 30 seconds
* Removed IDE (80pin cable) and refit it in 30 seconds
* Install my XP Bootable CD
* Continue with setup and Walla.... It worked
I have not done anything special.. just above steps..
Seems like I am lucky to get it fixed just in 1 hour.
Installation is going on to my friends PC, writing this back to all you from my laptop.. CHEERS F1 Team... Good Weekend all you Champs.
see ya