PDA

View Full Version : windows reinstall

24-06-2001, 09:04 AM
Hi. I'm helping a friend to get his machine to work but have come unstuck. I repartitioned and reformatted his drive, then tried to boot with the win95 start-up disk. Unfortunately although the machine recognises that the floppy works it won't boot. Error message is 'no operating system'. Nothing whatsoever allows me any acces into bios or any of the drives.

I didn't bother to check the boot sequence in bios prior to formatting, so I suspect that the sequence does not include drive A.

I've cleaned up machines like this at least a dozen times but never encountered this problem before. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The computer is an early Compac with a pentium processor. I have no idea what bios it has/had.

24-06-2001, 09:49 AM
Hi David F10 is the usual entry into Compaq Bios and there is usually a link on the motherboard that will cause a hardware reset on the BIOS back to defaults. If you don't have the MB documentation try searching the web for it and look up the hardware links.
HTH PC

24-06-2001, 11:16 PM
I ran into similar strife - the Compaqs have a special small diagnostic partition that contains the bios setup program. When you partitioned the drive it may have been deleted (its only a few meg in size from memory). Suggest you visit the Compaq website & d/l the 'SoftPac' for the model - it makes a few floppies to enable this partition to be recreated and the problem should be solved.
Good luck!
Andy