PDA

View Full Version : New SATA drive won't boot

linw
22-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Testing my new system (P5QL-EM mobo, E8400 CPU, 1TB Samsung HDD). Installed Win 7 fine but can't get the BIOS to see the HDD as a bootable device. It sees the drive OK and says "Hard drive detected!" on the BIOS startup screen but it won't boot from it.

I got Win7 to create a 50GB partition and it is a primary partition and it is set Active.

In the BIOS Boot Order screen, I can select the DVD as a bootable device but there is no SATA drive listed to select. Until the BIOS sees it as a bootable device I am stuffed!

Re-read the mobo manual and did some googling but got nowhere. Can't install the mobo drivers as I now can't get a windows environment.

Looks like I have missed something!

wainuitech
22-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Don't know if this will be of any help, But my own Board is a P5QL-E

I just looked on a new PC that I built today same board as mine - heres the configurations, both PC's are identical :

When it first boots you get a black screen - Detecting Drives = NONE

Once in the BIOS:

Main; Should see the Drive as SATA

Scroll down second from the bottom - Storage configuration
SATA [Enhanced]
Configuration [IDE]

to Change, select the option <press Enter> use arrow keys to move through menu.Esc to exit out

Then in the back to the menus up top - boot Tab - select boot order.

I Set to 1.CD - 2.hard drive - 3.Disabled(no floppy drive)

linw
22-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks, WT, but the storage config is what I have but the boot order option only shows the CDROM and 'Removable dev.'. There is no HDD presented for selection. Somehow my HDD doesn't look like a bootable device to the BIOS.

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Plug it into another SATA connection on the mobo. I think some connectors are for hdd and some are only for CD/DVD

And make sure the data and power cables are in properly

Blam
22-04-2009, 09:42 PM
I have the P5Q-Pro

At the black screen I get "No HDD detected" too, like WT but it works fine

What SATA port do you have the HDD on?

wainuitech
22-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Just adding a comment to the SATA ports - I set them up SATA1 = HDD with SATA2 = Optical

Edited: Some boards have sata0 - what ever they are the lowest number I always use the HDD on.

linw
22-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks, guys. It is on SATA5 so I am about to find SATA1 for a retry. Back soon.

linw
22-04-2009, 10:17 PM
HDD now on 1 and CDROM on 2. Still no HDD option on boot priority.

linw
22-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Bit peculiar that my BIOS says hard drive detected and won't work and two of you get no HDD and it works! It's a cruel world.

Blam
22-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Try flashing the bios to the latest version...I had a few problems and a bios update fixed it:)

wainuitech
22-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Try resetting the BIOS back to default - This is what I get (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Drive1240396425.jpg)

linw
22-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks, WT, that did it! Booted up fine and installed a few drivers, including those for the HDD. Happiness reigns! There is a lesson there, though, eh?

Must go through the BIOS and see what the diffs are.

Thanks again, all, much appreciated. You can got to bed now!!

linw
22-04-2009, 11:01 PM
On reflection, my BIOS may have been saying no hard drive detected as well as the text is offset to the left with quite a bit missing. So it could have had a 'no' that I couldn't see.

Wonder how one can get the BIOS stuff centred??

wainuitech
23-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks, WT, that did it! Booted up fine and installed a few drivers, including those for the HDD. Happiness reigns! There is a lesson there, though, eh?

Must go through the BIOS and see what the diffs are.

Thanks again, all, much appreciated. You can got to bed now!! Geee thanks :p I did go to bed a few minutes after posting last night.

Seems strange that sometimes things like that happen, its "almost" as if someone had played with the BIOS settings before the Boards are shipped - Could be wrong on this - But I have always thought the BIOS were set to default from new when leaving the factory.

I usually run through and check that every thing looks OK on defaults, the main item I change is the Boot order, CD first then HDD.

I have had the odd BIOS off screen as well, but what I find is usually once you are in the OS, and have loaded in drivers it re centers again esp with LCD's.
Some of my CRT monitors I have to manually adjust the positioning by the buttons on the front. Any Linux I install I have to do that for sure.

linw
23-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I expected it to start from system defaults, too. I can't see what has changed, though, so it is just another computer mystery I guess.

The Boot order settings are still a bit peculiar. There are three and it won't let me set up First as CDROM and Second as HDD. It keeps wanting "Removable Dev." in there in between. It's now got First as CDROM, Second as Removable Dev and Third as HDD. I can live with that.

Now to get the E8400 to 3.6GHz!!

Blam
23-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Hehe...what cooler have you got?

linw
23-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Just the stock cooler. It is supposed to got to 3.6GHz with that.

Have just been trying to get the clock up but not doing very well at this stage! Doing some more research.

Blam
23-04-2009, 10:02 PM
ALl you have to do is increase the FSB to overclock it to 3.6ghz

To get to 4ghz get increase FSB to 445mhz change CPU voltage to 1.4v

Get the TRUE or the Arctic Freezer Pro if you want 4ghz:D

Blam

linw
24-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Yes, I thought it would be easy to get to 3.6GHz and I would be happy with that but this board is not letting me set the FSB above 340MHz. At the end of the POST it says Overvoltage failed or overclocking failed, press F1 to enter setup etc. Bit frustrating.

I saw on the Overclockers UK forum someone had an E8400 and P5QL-EM up to 3.6GHz so I have registered and I will see how he did it (waiting for moderator to OK me atm).

Cheers.

Blam
24-04-2009, 10:37 AM
What temps is yours gettting at stock?

linw
24-04-2009, 11:35 AM
33C.