PDA

View Full Version : How to install legal xp over not

nedkelly
22-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey all, My aunty and uncle bought a pc a few years ago to help them with the paper work at a camp they manage up at Kawau, they just recently had the wganotify update downloaded. (Now before anyone says anything they only have dial up at Kawau so thats one of the reasons they only just got this now). It turns out the company installed illegal XP pro on the pc when they bought it, so now i am trying to help them buy legal xp. But the think is I am wondering is there anything special you have to do to install xp pro 3 over pro 2 without wiping any documents? Cause they have very important documents on the hard drive that they cannot afford to lose.

wainuitech
22-04-2009, 02:44 PM
This should work - done it myself a few times on customers PC's, with the legal XP PRO do a repair install - it will then put in the legal files and you enter in the Legal product key - all done - all data should still be intact.

heres how:

You will need your 25 digit product key for this.

Place XP CD in drive: Reboot or shutdown and start PC.

1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

NOTE: if it doesn't locate your old OS STOP! As any further actions may result in wiping your data.

6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

nedkelly
22-04-2009, 02:47 PM
just wondering if i bought the disk could i just change the cd key from the illegal one to the legal one?

Chilling_Silence
22-04-2009, 02:48 PM
It depends on what they installed.
If you bought WinXP Pro OEM and there is WinXP Pro VLK, Retail, or perhaps something like a Compaq OEM installed, then no unfortunately.

nedkelly
22-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Thinking of buying this one. http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=OSYMSO2759. The pc they have is not a name brand. So best to do wainuitech's instructions?

wratterus
22-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Yep. Wainui's solution is the best/only way.

nedkelly
22-04-2009, 02:56 PM
ok thanks guys

Sweep
22-04-2009, 05:31 PM
You may be able to change the key. An article from Microsoft explains how:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874

HTH.

beama
22-04-2009, 07:10 PM
heres two ways of changing the cd key

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5034890.html

pctek
22-04-2009, 07:26 PM
So long as you replace like with like: XP Pro OEm with Pro OEM for instance, all you need to do is change the key.
I've done it.
Simple........

wainuitech
22-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Sometimes you can change the letters/numbers as several of those links posted suggest - but to be honest 8 times out of ten I've tried even though the digits have changed, the damn things still wouldn't pop up with the option to change the key as they should.

Not to say it doesn't work, just I personally have not had much success doing it that way or with the scripts - I do try first as its quicker.

Bryan
23-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Just a thought that if the files are so important, back them up to a CD first so you do not lose them if something untoward happens.

Lumber Joe
23-04-2009, 08:37 PM
I had very bad experience with XP recoveries, so I would advise you to copy everything to DVDs or to external drive and install fresh copy of Windows.