PDA

View Full Version : Ext HDD has data but not showing

gum digger
21-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi
I recently put together a external 2.5" drive. gigabyte case + western digital 160GB hdd. few weeks ago i put some data in it but today when i plugged it in it shows nothing. but in properties it says 4.48gb used and 144gb free. i have seen this problem occurred so many times (in other drives, incl flash drives) but never found out why it happens or a solution to it. I simply use to reformat and use to re dump data.

CYaBro
21-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Try running a chkdsk on it.
It may have been removed from the USB port while still reading/writing to the drive and the file table has become corrupt.

Blam
21-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Usually this happens when you don't safely remove a drive and/or remove an external HDD while accessing it.

You can try uninstalling the hard drive in device manager then rebooting, that sometimes works

Blam

gum digger
21-04-2009, 10:51 PM
it was connected to my friends computer before i plugged it in today, do i have to uninstall it there?

williamF
21-04-2009, 11:02 PM
i think you can turn off data caching which caches data to be writen to a disk but only writes it when you safely remove the drive this maybe what has happened

Blam
21-04-2009, 11:17 PM
it was connected to my friends computer before i plugged it in today, do i have to uninstall it there?

On your computer.

And as following on from williams post, you can optimize your drive for quick removal so safely remove is not necessary.

Run>devmgmt.msc>expand "Disk Drives">Right Click external hard drive>Policies>Make sure "Optimize for Quick Removal" is ticked

Blam

gum digger
22-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I did all the above but result is still the same. the hdd is showing nothing though there is 4.48gb data in it. by default its set to "Optimize for Quick Removal" so i didnt need to change that.

williamF
22-04-2009, 11:24 AM
im not sure if this applies but do you have bigLBA enabled?
in registry go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\atapi\Parameters
create Dword value called EnableBigLba with a value of 1
i had to enable this for 2k to recognise a 465GB drive as it would only see 128 gig if i hadnt. depending on the OS it may already have it enabled especially if its vista and possibly XP SP2 or 3

gum digger
27-04-2009, 07:17 PM
could it be something to do with the case.

Blam
27-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Highly Possible...

Easiest way to test that is remove from case and attach to PC directly or use anotehr case

ughnz
27-04-2009, 09:43 PM
What file system did you format the drive with?

If it was NTFS you may have a permissions issue, certainly if the problem has come as the result of using the drive on another PC.

Can you see the root directory on the drive? If so give everyone full control of the root directory and all sub directories. Also changing the owner of all files / folders to administrator may be needed.

Hope some help to you.