PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with the recovery partitions? Keep or wipe?

utopian201
20-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi
My friend has a laptop and was wondering whether the recovery partition should be kept.

My understanding is that when you use the recovery partition to do a system recovery, it basically does a 'reset' to the computer, removing all partitions and wiping all data, leaving the computer as if it were just purchased.
Because it wipes all your data and deletes all partitions (I have partitioned the drive into C: for windows and the rest for all the data), does that make the value of the system recovery questionable?

Speedy Gonzales
20-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Well if you use the system recovery option (to reformat it), it'll re-create the partition anyway.

Keep it, you'll be able to restore the system to its original settings etc.

Wipe it, if it stuffs up, you wont be able to restore anything (unless you've made the restore cd's / dvd's). But as above, it'll re-create the partition.

Only way to fix it, is to buy an XP / whatever cd. Only thing is, you'll have to reinstall everything after you reinstall (updates, drivers etc). Thats if whatever OS you've installed has drivers on the internet

pcuser42
20-04-2009, 02:31 PM
If you have a Windows CD, it's best to delete the partition and expand the main partition using Disk Management (in Vista). Recovery partitions restore your PC to the way it was when it was new, including the junk. :groan:

kahawai chaser
20-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I fixed a friend's laptop log in error, using the recovery partition, to easily remove unwanted spyware registry files, after during various edits, which caused other issues.This is documented by me here (http://pcsourcepoint.blogspot.com/2008/05/user-log-in-registry-corruption-error.html). So maybe keep the recovery partition - or perhaps move/copy it (http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/partitioneditors.shtml)...

Agent_24
20-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Often the recovery partition is a subsitute for a windows CD.

However they are often full of pre-installed crap you probably don't want.

If you don't have a windows CD, you should keep it. If you want the extra space then make a copy of it with Ghost or something, and burn it to DVD.

Then delete it off the drive and do a proper install.

In that situation, I think that's what I'd do.