PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone using HDMI to watch / play DVD's??

Speedy Gonzales
18-04-2009, 03:11 PM
I dont know if the HDMI cable / monitor, or Xbox is causing this.

When / if I play a video, (I recorded the videos), or a DVD (DVD's are original, not copied / ripped into any other format, or anything), with the Xbox, the screen goes pink on this monitor, when the DVD menu comes up.

(I've just figured out, HOW to convert whatever to Xbox format, so I can watch it from the PC to the Xbox (both are networked to each other, so I can stream songs and video from the Xbox).

If I press the 2nd button (which switches between DVI/VGA/HDMI, 2-3 times the screen is fine (I can watch a video / DVD).

What would cause this?? I dont think its the monitor, because using DVI is fine (I've never seen a pink screen, any other time (ie: everytime I turn the PC on, or while I'm using it)

It only happens (from the Xbox to the monitor, when I use HDMI). I have noticed a few times (after I've pressed the 2nd button a few times, a message appears saying HDCP is secure or something.).

Would HDCP cause this pink screen? Since it only happens with DVD, videos, on the Xbox? And its only happening with HDMI

Has anyone seen something similar (whether youre using an HDMI PC monitor, or a TV with HDMI on it)??

Blam
18-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Could possibly be the cable, or that the monitor can only receive HDCP signals?
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/511070.html

Blam

Speedy Gonzales
18-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Hmm I think I found the prob. Its a setting on the Xbox

There's an HDMI Space option under display.

RGB -> Ycbcr601 -> Ycbcr709. I have a feeling it was on one of the Y's.

Because, when I selected either, the screen also went pink. Change it to RGB. Voila. Pink screen went. Tried 2 DVD's, no pink screen. Tried a few WMV files. No pink screen either. Should have checked this, before I posted. I would say the monitor can receive HDMI and HDCP (if I were using DVI).

Speedy Gonzales
18-04-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm not using DVI -> HDMI for the Xbox. Since its got HDMI on it. The monitor has also got HDMI on it.

nedkelly
18-04-2009, 05:20 PM
The question you should be asking speedy is: Is any one rich enough to be able to watch / play dvds with HDMI?

Speedy Gonzales
18-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I wouldnt say I'm rich :p , theyre not blu-ray dvds, (since Xbox cant play blu-ray anyway). Just normal dvd's

Only cost 400 (for the monitor). And nothing for the Xbox, since I didnt buy it, I won it

nedkelly
18-04-2009, 05:40 PM
yeah but the cables are really expensive as well

Blam
18-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Actually cables retailing for ridiculous prices producing better quality is one of the biggest myths ever, it was even published in this months PCWorld.

In reality the difference in quality is really very little between cheaper cables and more expensive ones.

Blam

Speedy Gonzales
18-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Yup thats true this cable was only $20-25 or something. Its good enough, I get a pic and sound. What more do you need?