PDA

View Full Version : Wake up External USB drive from Win XP.

MistyCat
16-04-2009, 04:36 AM
Windows XP Pro S/P 3

I have an external Seagate FreeAgent USB Drive. When I "Safely Disconnect" it will power down and stay off undtil I cycle the power to the drive or reboot the computer. No problems there.

However, I'd like to be able to wake it up from the computer.
Possible?

The nearest I've managed is by using "Add Hardware" which gives the message:
Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)
To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.

That works, of course, but I'd like a software method.

gary67
16-04-2009, 07:41 AM
What happens if you just double click it's drive letter under my computer? Or right click open?

Neil McC
16-04-2009, 08:42 AM
I've been using HotSwap for ages now, as I connect and disconnect extra drives while Windows is running.
The Home page
http://mysite.verizon.net/kaakoon/hotswap/index_enu.htm

SolMiester
16-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Windows XP Pro S/P 3

I have an external Seagate FreeAgent USB Drive. When I "Safely Disconnect" it will power down and stay off undtil I cycle the power to the drive or reboot the computer. No problems there.

However, I'd like to be able to wake it up from the computer.
Possible?

The nearest I've managed is by using "Add Hardware" which gives the message:
Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)
To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.

That works, of course, but I'd like a software method.

I'm not sure what you are after, if you are not turning the pc off or removing the USB drive, why are you using the safely remove feature? The safely remove feature is to stop 5v power and the disk writing. Removing and re-inserting well bring the device back up, however their is not need to use safely remove if you are leaving the device in!...

Blam
16-04-2009, 11:16 AM
I agree what Sol-why are are you using the safely remove function when you are not removing??

If you are trying to save power, windows already turns off connected USB devices after a certain period of time, so I wouldn't worry about that

Blam

MistyCat
16-04-2009, 01:40 PM
gary67 - After "Safely Remove" is used, the Drive Letter is removed from Explorer. There's nothing to click.

Neil McC - Thanks for that. I'd much rather use a "built-in" Windows method without adding software, but I'll try it if someone can confirm that the "Wake-up" ability isn't built in to Windows XP. I'd be quite happy to use an API call from Visual Basic or VBA.

SolMiester and Blam6 - I use "Safely Remove" to turn off the (very bright) LED on the FreeAgent Drive. The feedback from the light is useful while I'm at the computer, but at night it's bright enough to read by and distracting. SeaGate offer software to control the intensity of the LED, but I'd still like it completely off when I want it off.

It's no big deal. I control power supplies and chargers for other items from a switchable six outlet power strip in easy reach on my desk, and I could get what I want by cycling the power to the FreeAgent from that. However, I now have seven items, and I'm too mean to buy another switched power strip. :-)

I'd still like to know if it's possible to wake up the drive from windows without using additional software.

Thanks for the help.

Blam
16-04-2009, 01:55 PM
In device manager(run>devmgmt.msc), right click your external hard drive and select disable.

When you want to use it again, right click and select enable.

MistyCat
16-04-2009, 02:14 PM
blam6 - Been there, tried that. :-) After "Enable," Windows says, "Yeah, I'll give it a go, but you're gunna hafta reboot." I'm sure you see the problem. :-)

kahawai chaser
16-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Probably need to create/find a batch file or auto hot key to prevent sleep mode. Or a simple program like NoSleepHD (http://vhxnblog.wordpress.com/2009/03/03/how-to-prevent-external-hard-drives-from-entering-sleep-mode/)

MistyCat
16-04-2009, 02:23 PM
kahawai chaser - I don't want to prevent Sleep Mode. I want to wake up my USB FreeAgent Drive after I've used "Safely Remove", which I do in order to turn of the very bright LED.
The LED remains on (dimmed) when the drive is asleep, but goes out after "Safely Remove."

MistyCat
16-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Whoops - "off," not "of."

Blam
16-04-2009, 06:32 PM
blam6 - Been there, tried that. :-) After "Enable," Windows says, "Yeah, I'll give it a go, but you're gunna hafta reboot." I'm sure you see the problem. :-)

Did you disable the USB controller or the hard drive?

Is it optimized for performance or removal?

zqwerty
16-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Not advised to leave flash drive connected to a computer that you turn off and then re-power up later, always remove flash drives from computers before switching the main machine off.

This is true, don't do it or you risk corruption of the flash drive or worse sooner or later.

MistyCat
16-04-2009, 07:09 PM
blam6 - That Drive is optimized for removal. (My other FreeAgent is optimized for Performance, but that drive is not part of the problem.)

I disabled the Hard drive, not the USB. The drive is the second down in the attached gif, the FreeAgentDeskTop

Attached file: Hard-Flash-USB.gif (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Hard-Flash-USB.gif) (20 KB)

Thanks for helping.

MistyCat
16-04-2009, 07:11 PM
zqwerty - Thanks for that. This is not a Flash drive, but a 500 gig external hard drive. SeaGate would be most upset if rebooting the computer with the drive connected caused a problem.. :-)