PDA

View Full Version : Internet disconnections

bk T
16-04-2009, 12:24 AM
My Internet connection has been behaving very erratically recently. Phoned both Telecom and Xnet. At first they suspected it's my router, OK, I replaced 2 brand new routers (Thomson speedtouch & Linksys) but no improvement.
Telecom's tech came 2 times, checked and rectified phone lines, replaced and re-wired the 'splitter', connection still drops few times per hour. Then, Telecom suspected it's my telephone sets, I then plugged out all my phones (2 nos) but problem still persist.

What shall I do next? Yell at Telecom or Xnet?

I've got security alarm system in the house but it is not monitored - not connected to the monitoring company thru telephone line. So, it should not relevant to the disconnection problem, am I right?

I am lost as to what steps to take next. Surely you can imagine how I feel right now.:annoyed: :angry

Blam
16-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Have they replaced the modem?

Does this happen to all PCs connected in the household?

It's probably just the phone line, happened to me in Wellie, rang up Telecom, they came over, rewired something, and all was well.

Keep persisteing with telecom, sometimes they forget:annoyed

And their bad service doesn't help either:(

Blam

Trev
16-04-2009, 09:29 AM
Have they replaced the modem?

Blam

Yes he has. Read first line.
:)

linw
16-04-2009, 09:42 AM
It's hard to see how anyone here can really help you even though we may sympathize. I think you have to keep onto Telecom. I presume they have reset/changed your port?

Good luck. Let's know how you get on.

SolMiester
16-04-2009, 10:48 AM
It's hard to see how anyone here can really help you even though we may sympathize. I think you have to keep onto Telecom. I presume they have reset/changed your port?

Good luck. Let's know how you get on.

I was going to say this, Telecom had to do it for me to get sorted, other than that, has the alarm always been hooked up, like before you got BB, are you sure it isnt hooked up to the phone line? I mean they can easily say, no we dont monitor, however, if you say to them monitor me, i bet they wouldnt need to come over and plug the line in...!

Just a thought!

bk T
16-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I was going to say this, Telecom had to do it for me to get sorted, other than that, has the alarm always been hooked up, like before you got BB, are you sure it isnt hooked up to the phone line? I mean they can easily say, no we dont monitor, however, if you say to them monitor me, i bet they wouldnt need to come over and plug the line in...!

Just a thought!

We got this house when new and my Broadband was connected when Xtra first introduced many years ago. And we have been using it since then without major problems. I therefore think that the Security alarm is not the issue. Further more, since we have the 'splitter' installed by Telecom from the very beginning, even IF the alarm is MONITORED, it should not affect the Broadband Internet, right?

bk T
16-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Phoned Telecom again this morning and their technician came at around noon, he changed another cable - from the roadside green box to somewhere (I don't know) a few streets away and also they changed my broadband profile ( don't really know exactly what it is.

Anyway, my Internet has been very stable, no disconnections, so far. :)

Apparently, looks like the faults have been rectified.

Just to keep you folks updated, for those who are interested.

supergran
17-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I have been getting the same, but just thought it was Xnet as usual. Maybe I better start taking notice of when it does it. I have mini drops regularly,and changed modems etc.

Speedy Gonzales
17-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Xnet has had outages, well they did the other week for 2 hrs (for some users, not all). Which cut you off completely

bk T
17-04-2009, 03:26 PM
I have been getting the same, but just thought it was Xnet as usual. Maybe I better start taking notice of when it does it. I have mini drops regularly,and changed modems etc.

I would suggest you should phone Xnet and ask them to check the no. of drop outs and re-syncs for the last few days. They should be able to check the log and tell you the no of outages.

gary67
17-04-2009, 08:11 PM
We kept getting dropouts on Ihug replaced the router with a new one from Ascent and no more dropouts I guess the old freebie D-link was dying