PDA

View Full Version : Vista right click problems

REDALERT3COMMANDO
15-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi, having trouble with right clicking in windows vista home premium. Whenever I right click on an exe file anywhere, explorer will crash and restart. This also happens if I search for an exe file in the start menu and left click on it. I have tried using ShellExView but have had no luck. All I want to do is run a program as admin! Can somebody help me?

wainuitech
15-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Welcome to PF1.

It does sound like one of the shell extensions causing the problem - Did you disable all third party extensions in ShellExView ?

What you can try - this may or may not show something, click start, type in performance - in the results, open Reliability and performance monitor.

On the list on the left, click "Reliability monitor" - where there is a crash or error there "should" be a red circle with a white X - click that - under the windows/Application or Miscellaneous Failures will be what has failed - hopefully it will tell you something else apart from Explorer crashed.
Look for some app or other event thats crashed.

Blam
15-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Using ShellExView, disable all shell context entries except for the Windows ones and slowly enable on at a time to find the culprit.

What programs did you install around the time this started happening?

Your last option here would be to use system restore, which will remove all programs installed after the restore point, or any settings changed.

But it will not affect your data.

And-To run a program as administrator, just select it and go Ctrl+Shift+Enter

Cheers
Blam

REDALERT3COMMANDO
15-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Ok well I have gone back and tried both of these, in the performance monitor all it had was "stopped working'' surprise surprise. Second, I tried disabling the third party apps but I had no luck there. And unfortunately a system restore wouldn't help because this started happening when I first reinstalled windows.

Blam
15-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Go in Event Viewer(Run>eventvwr) and find the entriesl listed when explorer crashes.

Copy and paste the entries here

williamF
15-04-2009, 03:24 PM
hmm seeing as its done this since a fresh install, there shouldnt be any malicious code causing this. however has it been doing it after drivers are installed. try using the right click on an exe in safe mode. create a new user and/or try in administrator. faulty mouse drivers or corrupt files could probably cause this

REDALERT3COMMANDO
15-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Ok I will try this tomorrow, I have tried this in safe mode, no luck there either. And as for the malicious code my eset smart security 4 software should have taken care of that. Will try tomorrow.

REDALERT3COMMANDO
19-04-2009, 03:50 PM
Sorry I have been away from home for a while, but I have tried and have had no success. Does anyone have any idea of how I can fix this?

Blam
19-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Your file associations for exe files could possibly be stuffed..download this (http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/exefix_vista.zip) and extract the reg file from it, then double click it and reboot.

You will need to be the administrator of the machine.

Blam

REDALERT3COMMANDO
20-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Still no luck, this problem is so annoying!