PDA

View Full Version : HDDs' Changed Letters.

pipercub
15-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Hi:
I have a desktop with two HDD. One main with 40gb & one 10gb as backup. I formatted the main HDD and re-installed XP but have mucked it up somehow. The main drive is now (D:) and the backup drive is now (C:) I went into Control Panel / Admin Tools / Comp Management / Disk Management and tried to change the letters around. I can change the smaller HDD from (C:) to anything except (D:). I cannot change the main HDD back to (C:) or anything else. Any ideas how to remedy my problem?

Cheers:

wainuitech
15-04-2009, 11:02 AM
The reason it wont change is generally the existing C Drive is usually "locked" for the lack of a better term.

Try disconnecting the Current C Drive, what happens when you reboot, does the OS drive Now read as C or D.

If it reads as D, try changing the drive letter back to C - one way to fix it - you can always do another repair install with only the main drive connected. then reconnect the Other drive and it should auto pickup as a different letter.

Had that several times when a Front Card reader was connected, and the main drive was listed as H - had to repair install to get it right after disconnecting the card holder.

pipercub
15-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Many thanks. Will give that a go. Cheers.

pipercub
15-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Back Again:

Disconnected current drive C: Rebooted. Main OS HDD still shows Drive D: Rebooted comp with XP CD in CD drive.Computer now won't boot from CD. Started computer then put XP CD in CD drive. XP install screen came up & I started to install. Got as far as screen where you have to type in the reg number. Tried to type reg but nothing came up as I typed.
Finally, I tried booting with a W98 startup disk (have used ok in past.) to try and use fdisk but could not get past "Start Computer With CD-Rom Support" Hitting 'Delete' on bootup to get to bios doesn't work either.
Any further ideas anyone?

Cheers:

Blam
15-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Weird...BIOS not coming up?

Try resetting it

wainuitech
15-04-2009, 02:10 PM
That sounds a little like a keyboard problem.

By any chance do you have another keyboard you can try with a PS2 connection, NOT USB ( thats if your KB is USB).

By the time Windows gets to asking for the product key, its already found the drive and loaded files to it.
If its XP SP3 with the mouse, when asking for the product key, click NEXT - it will install without a Key ( you can put that in later)

pipercub
15-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi Again:
Have "fixed" the problem, sort of. Have replaced OS HDD with another out of an old pentium 3. Left the small one disconnected and everything works fine except having to reinstall everything again. Ah well....good excuse to get rid of some of the past clutter.
I will try your suggestions on the old P3 at some stage. I don't think it's the keyboard though. It's working fine now.
Thanks again for the help

Cheers:

williamF
15-04-2009, 07:28 PM
what setting is the master/slave jumpers on the drive and are you sure you selected the correct drive when reinstalling windows?

pipercub
15-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi
Main OS HDD set as master. No jumper. 40gb. Other one set as slave. 10gb.
OS definitely installed on 40gb HDD.
Problem solved for now with OS HDD replaced and things working ok. Have left 10gb HDD disconnected for now and using external HDD for backing up.
Thanks all for the help.
Cheers: