PDA

View Full Version : Workgroup myth

linw
14-04-2009, 11:53 PM
Please, guys, stop banging on about needing the same workgroup name for p2p networking. It just ain't true. Every thread with network problems gets the same message. If you don't believe me, try it.

This site on networking myths has the message below:- http://www.bcmaven.com/myths.htm

Myth: All of the computers on a network must use the same workgroup name.

Fact: Windows networking supports multiple workgroups. Computers in any workgroup can access computers in any other workgroup. Workgroups have no role in network access, and they don't provide any type of security.

Explanation: It's a little easier to access computers in the same workgroup than in other workgroups. In Windows 95 and 98, computers in the same workgroup appear immediately when you open Network Neighborhood, and you need to click Entire Network to access other workgroups.

Blam
15-04-2009, 12:02 AM
So you don't need to be on the same wrokgroup to share files?

What exactly is the purpose of a workgroup then?

linw
15-04-2009, 12:52 AM
It is not much use at all. But look at the explanation above. It may be convenient to group resources by workgroup name but you can still access any workgroup.

Common workgroup names may be a convenience but they are not necessary for p2p sharing.

Blam
15-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Interesting...so that is probably the reason my laptop can share files around my network at home even though it is connected to the school domain:D

Agent_24
15-04-2009, 01:34 AM
The fastest way is to go to Start -> Run -> \\IP_address_of_PC_here\

linw
15-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Interesting...so that is probably the reason my laptop can share files around my network at home even though it is connected to the school domain:D

Another one of life's mysteries resolved:D

wainuitech
15-04-2009, 09:56 AM
While you dont HAVE to be in the same workgroup, its does make life a LOT easier, even Microsoft in Their article (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx) recommend it
Configuring file and printer sharing behavior in Windows Vista consists of the following:

Setting the workgroup name to be the same as the other computers

it does make fault finding a LOT easier, and easier for the person if they dont have to go through several steps to get to where they want to be - typing in commands - blimey some people have a hard enough time getting a web address, let alone a network share to run.

You got to remember who as a tech/ Teacher you are dealing with sometimes - its all to easy to forget the people you are helping know nothing about this and you need to show them each and every single step no matter how easy it is for yourself to do it automatically.

Side Issu, but along the lines of helping/giving instructions - when I got one of my diplomas we had to do a task on giving instructions - we all thought it was so easy - thats until only 1 or two people in the class actually got it close to correct. :o Its not as easy as you may think.

Might start a new thread sometimeand see how many get it right :eek:

Chilling_Silence
15-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Giving computer instructions in a *completely* non-technical way can be a real fine art.

When I was selling & supporting accounting software through a Cyber Cafe, we had to write some instructions for people who were completely computer illiterate. By that I mean they were *totally* new to the idea of computers.

Man was that a challenge getting them to manually patch their software, delete some files and then rebuild a database... good times :D

Back on topic: Yes you dont need to be, yes it helps to be for easier file-sharing, browsing through "Network Neighborhood" or whatever.