PDA

View Full Version : N00b's problem on Hijackthis...

LynX
13-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Just maintaining my PC by looking through HijackThis log. There is one thing that is somewhat interesting: when I run it for the first time there might be some items that looks like "BHO - (no name) - {chaotic strings} (no file)". Normally I choose them as the first things to delete. What are they? How did they get there? Is it the best thing to delete them? Or are they just empty registry entries? I'm not so confident......

Thanks everyone.

Speedy Gonzales
13-04-2009, 08:17 PM
They maybe part of an install like google toolbar. Do a search in google, for the data in between the {}. Sometimes, google will tell you what it belongs to

It shouldnt hurt if you tick it in the log, then tick fix checked. Altho, this may depend on the version of windows.

If its Vista, any entries saying file missing may still be on the system. Since HJT doesnt know what Vista is or what its entries belong to

Agent_24
13-04-2009, 08:38 PM
On a clean install of windows I have used Sysinternals Autoruns to analyze startup entries, there are several which point to non-existant files and one BHO which seems only related to IE7+ which points to nothing

Blam
13-04-2009, 09:48 PM
My general rule is anything with "File Missing" next to them in HijackThis should be be ticked.

I have seen the BHO - (no name) - {blah blah blah} (no file) several times but I am unsure of what it is

BHO=Browser Helper Objects so they are probably related to IE as Agent24 noted.

Might be bug with HijackThis, unsure

Blam