PDA

View Full Version : Backup just software installation

gum digger
12-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi

Does anyone know how i can backup just a particular software installed on windows setup?.

i have a very old statistical program that does my job, we paid a lot of money for it as it was made just for us. recently the computer it was on died, though i was able to take acronis snapshot of the drive. however the program fails to work properly sometime. its very tricky because it runs windows 95. i restored the image on a totally new computer. but now i want to install a fresh windows 95 setup but same time i dont have the original disks for the program. so i was wondering how i can backup just the program, so it can be restored

pctek
12-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Tried running it in compatibility mode?

Or maybe use Virtual PC

ronyville
12-04-2009, 10:30 AM
I dont think you can backup a program that was installed on another OS and make it work properly under another OS. You can easily put windows 95 on a virtual pc like pctek mentioned but in order to use that particular program you will need the original disc to install again. You could try copying the program folder for that particular software from the old OS and putting it under the c drive of the newer install and run the exe file. But i think u do need the original disc for that software.

Blam
12-04-2009, 10:31 AM
You can't really "backup" installations.

Maybe if you found every single file it is made of....

gum digger
12-04-2009, 10:47 AM
can i emulate acronis tru image for virtual pc?

Blam
12-04-2009, 02:24 PM
You mean run?

Yes, you can run Acronis in a VM. You can do almost anything in a VM you could do in a real machine