PDA

View Full Version : Proxy / Gateway?

aidanmaz
11-04-2009, 03:01 PM
I hav a spare old HP Brio (550mhz 256MB RAM) and thought i might turn it into a proxy gateway, for our network at home, I want something that works with outlook, as ISA 2004 doesnt seem to get gmail thru the firewall, and i think 256MB RAM isnt enough for windows and ISA, what would u guys recommend? I dont want to buy more ram, if thats the case il just the machine.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
11-04-2009, 03:03 PM
And why do you need a proxy?

aidanmaz
11-04-2009, 03:05 PM
because currently we are sitting on a small capped limit and most of the household visits the same site regularly, so why not cache them on a server proxy to speed things and save on bandwith

Blam
11-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Squid?

http://www.squid-cache.org

somebody
11-04-2009, 04:20 PM
because currently we are sitting on a small capped limit and most of the household visits the same site regularly, so why not cache them on a server proxy to speed things and save on bandwith

Your savings will be very minimal - though I guess every little bit counts.

Check out some of the prebuilt Linux firewall/gateway distributions like IPCop, that can run on old hardware, and do stuff like proxying (using Squid). These are fairly straightforward to set up, and have a nice web interface to manage.

HAL9000
11-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Try IPCop. You'll need to install another LAN card in the box but for what you then get from IPCop and the Advanced Proxy, URLFilter and UpdateXlerator add ons it's worth the effort.

I have these running at a number of client sites. Great for when they ask "where's our bandwidth going?"

jackM
11-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Pretty sure he asked about recommended proxies, not "please question me about why I want one". Anyway, as an example, on a three computer Lan, I noticed no bandwidth benefits running a proxy.