PDA

View Full Version : XP login not quite right

Gobe1
09-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi all, i had a user call this morning with something strange:XP 64 bit SP2

The user logged in and it start to create the start menu etc as if it was the first time he had logged in. Once logged in there were no desktop icons except recycle bin, like a new user, went to open his emails and there was nothing there, like a new user... I told him to reboot, and when he logged in all his icons were back and his email, problem went away.?? WTF:waughh:
This is the second time i have seen this, both machines running XP 64 SP2.

The user account is admin and has a password, guest is enabled

I tried to google this but struggle to describe the problem
I may not see it again but it is very strange
The first time i saw this there was a user name in the documents and settings folder called "TEMP" in caps?? when i rebooted this was gone

Any ideas?
I should i just add this to the Voodoo black arts of PCs

CYaBro
09-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I have had this happen on XP 32-bit a lot as well.
Just log off and log in again and it fixes itself.
Not sure why it happens but XP will do this if, for whatever reason, it can't read the original registry. It creates a new temporary login.

Gobe1
09-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Hey thanks for that
Yeah it is weird isnt it? First time it happened i was like "this is new user stuff, i have logged in here before (rub eyes x2)

pctek
09-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Explorer is set to display Hidden Files then check the User profiles.
I'd say its possible his profile was corrupted and its recreated a new one.

sroby
09-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi all, i had a user call this morning with something strange:XP 64 bit SP2

The user logged in and it start to create the start menu etc as if it was the first time he had logged in. Once logged in there were no desktop icons except recycle bin, like a new user, went to open his emails and there was nothing there, like a new user... I told him to reboot, and when he logged in all his icons were back and his email, problem went away.?? WTF:waughh:
This is the second time i have seen this, both machines running XP 64 SP2.

Could be a corrupt Profile (check HD for bad sectors), or they mistyped the user name to login, making a new profile: pretty unlikely thou..
I have seen instances where the user managed to re-image the HD but wouldnt initially admit to it.. of course the profile was then gone permanently.

Agent_24
09-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Sounds like something got corrupted. Check the RAM (memtest) and HDD (Seatools etc)

Gobe1
09-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Hi, all good suggestions but i think Cyabro is on to it. As soon as you log off and log back on everything is back to normal. It probably is a corruption of some sorts but the new user TEMP is gone once you log back in...
Thanks for your help