PDA

View Full Version : What gives with my flash drive?

amyes5
08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I've got a 16gig flash drive from overseas & for a while everything has been Ok.However my computer has now started saying "insert disc in Drive ...when I plug it in.Hardware profile recognizes it as flash drive & Xp tells me I have up to date drivers so what gives? When I plug it into my DVD player or my HD recorder it is now not recognised. As these things have no moving parts I am a bit perplexed.

wainuitech
08-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Had a Flash Drive ( only 1 GB ) but same problem /message - the file system had become corrupted - in the end I copied all the data to a PC, reformatted the drive put the data back- all was well.

Blam
08-04-2009, 02:04 PM
You can try uninstalling it under Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager.
Then reboot.

If that doesn't work boot into a linux live CD such as knoppix, and copy the data to the PC then format as Wanuitech said

amyes5
08-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Somehow I think it's the flash drive thats the problem.Other f/drives still function and the problem one wont go in other usb units.There's a lesson here folks "you get what you pay for!!"

Blam
08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
It definetly is the flash drives problem.

Doubt its the USb controller, get anotehr USb to test if you want

Paul.Cov
08-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Another issue you may be striking is the allocation of drive letters, particularly for any optical (CD/DVD) drives you have.

For example, you have hard disc (C:)
Probably CD/DVD (D:)
If you plug in a flash drive, it probably becomes E:

However, if the flash drive is already plugged in at the time you boot up, you might get:

HDD C:
Flash Drive D:
CD/DVD E:

Now any games that look for the CD/DVD at startup will probably be looking on D: for the game, as that is the drive letter that was assigned at the time the game and shortcuts were installed.

However, D: now has a flash drive and no game... resulting in a message to Insert Disc.

So in summary, it might be other installed programs that refer to D: E: etc that are causing these messages. The drive itself might be fine.

Paul.Cov
08-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Oops, disregard my above message now - in the light of your post made while I was writing mine.

Also, the smilies were an unintended result of typing ( C : ) without the spaces.