PDA

View Full Version : New Computer?

Sir Prospect
07-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi everyone, Im planning on buying a computer with these specs:

1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU Retail
1 x LG W2261v 21.5 1080P Full HD Monitor.
1 x ASUS P5QL-Pro Intel P43 chipset
1 x Corsair 550W VX Series PSU
1 x Thermaltake M9D CASE
1 x ASUS nVidia Geforce N9500GT GRAPHICSADAPTER
1 x Corsair 2 x 2 GB XMS2 DDR2-800 C5
1 x Logitech X-530 5:1 SPEAKERS
1 x Western Digital 320 GB Caviar Blue HARD DISKDrive
1 x Genius Ergo 555 MICE
1 x ASUS DRW-22B1ST OPTICAL DRIVE
1 x Logitech Media Keyboard 600 KEYBOARD

How much do you think this computer is worth?

Note: I am talking about this PC fully assembled.

Also feel free to add any reccomendations...

Blam
07-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Don't even think about gaming with that graphics card, you'd need a 9800GT or a 9600GSO at least...or maybe an ATI 4670

Personally I would get a Seagate hard drive as they are generally more reliable but WD is also very good so I wouldn't worry too much.

And I would get the Viewsonic VX2233wm instead of the LG monitor, better quality IMO
And I've heard good stuff about the Antec 300, might want to look into that.

After adding the cheapest prices on pricespy for each of those parts, it comes to 1733 including gst. To get it built I would recommend computer lounge:

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=508&t=26

It may be more than 1733 if you buy from better retailers maybe up to 2000, and look around on trademe for deals

Blam

Sir Prospect
07-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Don't even think about gaming with that graphics card, you'd need a 9800GT or a 9600GSO at least...or maybe an ATI 4670

Personally I would get a Seagate hard drive as they are generally more reliable but WD is also very good so I wouldn't worry too much.

And I would get the Viewsonic VX2233wm instead of the LG monitor, better quality IMO
And I've heard good stuff about the Antec 300, might want to look into that.

After adding the cheapest prices on pricespy for each of those parts, it comes to 1733 including gst. To get it built I would recommend computer lounge:

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=508&t=26

It may be more than 1733 if you buy from better retailers maybe up to 2000, and look around on trademe for deals

Blam

Blam, although i thankyou for your helpfulness, I myself did calculate the price of these parts on Pricespy and I got 1745. The reason i did not say the price is so that others could say their opinions! Oh well, thanks anyway.

So the graphics card is rubbish huh? I dont plan on playing the serious high end games (as you can see from my stinginess, i cant "afford" good games like Crysis.) So will this graphics card suit everyday needs (like autocad, and providing High definition videos to the LG monitor?

Blam
07-04-2009, 07:22 PM
It'll work-but after a year or so you would probably upgrade.

Read this tutorial/comparision

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=596&type=expert&pid=8

And getting pwned by other cards...
http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Graphics-cards/ATi-Radeon-HD-4670-vs-nVIDIA-GeForce-9500GT/Page-3.html

Blam

wainuitech
07-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Pricing off price spy can be very dangerous - while it may give you an idea as to the cost -you have to add in freight etc.

Couple of other things - sometimes the actual parts as listed on Price spy are out of date, or the store doesn't have them.

If there is a warranty issue, then it can take longer to have it fixed - lets say a PC has a problem - are you experienced enough to determine where the actual fault may be, and what component to have the warranty claim on, and which shop you purchased the original part from - if you guess and its wrong, you will be charged and still no further ahead.

I see this a LOT - so called "Computer Experts" - HA!!! wouldn't know a fault if it turned around and bit them.

Classic example - customer last week - the local expert the guy knew who " Knows all about computers" said the HDD had failed - the "real problem" after I looked at it - riddled with viruses causing it not to boot.

You would be better off paying a bit extra, getting the whole PC built and supplied by one shop who knows what they are doing.

pctek
07-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Pricing off price spy can be very dangerous

Yes.
Just look at all those people that spent money at C1 only to receive nothing.

Find a REPUTABLE store with excellent after sales service who doesn't run their business purely as a price war.

Blam
07-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I do recommend Computer Lounge and Playtech.

Look here for a general guide:

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/297771/?

Cheezels
07-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Yes i recommend CL also, their service is the best. Very reliable and fast service.

Ofthesea
07-04-2009, 10:08 PM
imho 320Gb HD isn't very future proof?

Brooko
07-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Nice looking rig :thumbs:

Couple of changes (if it was me)

I looked at some reviews on the case - and it seemed like a lot of bling (flashy lights - ooooh :rolleyes: ), but maybe not quite as solid a build as others for same price or less. I have an Antec 300 and for a mid-budget game case it is brilliant. Plenty of space + good design for airflow. I bought 2 x 120mm case fans for the front - they are not included. They do include 1 x 140mm top and 1 x 120mm exhaust fan.

Also - your graphics card. You're only going to have about $60-$70 diff between the 9500GT and a 9600GT. The ASUS Black Pearl is good. Worth considering doing it now.

With your PSU - if your supplier has both. consider the Corsair 520HX instead of the 550VX. If price difference is negligible, the 520HX is modular - makes for nice cable management.

Shop around on the LCD. There are some pretty good deals out there at the moment. If you can find a good Samsung - even if it's a few $$ extra, the quality is pretty good.

Finally - I echo what the rest of the crew says here. Find a single reputable supplier, and pay extra. It's worth it. I use iFocus and Ascent online. Both you pay a little more - but the service is A+!. Absolutely no hassles with RMA's, straight returns - and best of all - good solid advice. iFocus have been great - put me onto better deals than I would have initially taken (more than once).

beeswax34
07-04-2009, 11:46 PM
PB Tech is pretty good too.

Gobe1
08-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Pricing off price spy can be very dangerous - while it may give you an idea as to the cost -you have to add in freight etc.

Couple of other things - sometimes the actual parts as listed on Price spy are out of date, or the store doesn't have them.

If there is a warranty issue, then it can take longer to have it fixed - lets say a PC has a problem - are you experienced enough to determine where the actual fault may be, and what component to have the warranty claim on, and which shop you purchased the original part from - if you guess and its wrong, you will be charged and still no further ahead.

I see this a LOT - so called "Computer Experts" - HA!!! wouldn't know a fault if it turned around and bit them.

Classic example - customer last week - the local expert the guy knew who " Knows all about computers" said the HDD had failed - the "real problem" after I looked at it - riddled with viruses causing it not to boot.

You would be better off paying a bit extra, getting the whole PC built and supplied by one shop who knows what they are doing.

+1

CYaBro
08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
+1

Also +1 from me :punk

I don't see any operating system mentioned on the list, do you already have one?
If not that will add about $200 depending on what OS you want.
If it were me I would look at getting a black edition of the WD hard drive as they have a 5 year warranty and don't cost much more than the blues.

Blam
08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Also +1 from me :punk

I don't see any operating system mentioned on the list, do you already have one?
If not that will add about $200 depending on what OS you want.
If it were me I would look at getting a black edition of the WD hard drive as they have a 5 year warranty and don't cost much more than the blues.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=98708

Sir Prospect
08-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I agree that I should go to a reputable retailer (probobly computerlounge or QMB computers)

Whats worng with the case? it looks good enough to me.......(in every aspect)

I also have a budget of $1800 (although this is more of a guideline becuase il still buy if its $1810 or something like that)

If you look at the other thread (ubuntu or windows) im planning on gettting Ubuntu....

Blam
08-04-2009, 06:56 PM
The case is fine, but I just reckon it looks weird:p

Just my personal opinion though, so don't let me stop you from buying it;)

You should be able to meet that 1800 budget if you shop around.

Blam

Sir Prospect
08-04-2009, 07:11 PM
The case is fine, but I just reckon it looks weird:p

Just my personal opinion though, so don't let me stop you from buying it;)

You should be able to meet that 1800 budget if you shop around.

Blam

So there is nothing wrong with the build of the case?

Blam
08-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Yes, its fine, brand is good;)