PDA

View Full Version : NTLDR missing

Myth
07-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Somewhat randomly, SWMBO's computer is giving the "NTLDR is missing. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL ..." It goes through all bootable devices looking for NTLDR before it gets to that message. In spite of HDD being second on list (CD is first.. nothings changed here in ages)
I have tried what chauffeur suggested here (http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/181831-solved-ntldr-missing.html) but it doesn't seem to have worked.

So what else can I try. Or what am I looking at?

Have warned SWMBO to make sure all her docs are backed up in case of hardware issue

Edit, have one more option to try after work (bcupdate2) Will let you know what happens

beama
07-04-2009, 07:02 AM
you could try a repair install. Which is basicly a overinstall of the current os.

normally once this is done programs data etc will still be there after this type of install

BUT

Backup data first

things can go wrong

Blam
07-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Try the methods posted here:

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Or a repair install would probably fix it...

dugimodo
07-04-2009, 10:50 AM
make sure no usb devices or other potential boot devices are plugged in, my pc has a add in raid card and despite bios settings will try and boot off almost anything else given the chance.

I get this exact error when I leave my external hard drive turned on.

wratterus
07-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Try the methods posted here:

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Or a repair install would probably fix it...

Yep unless the HDD is failing or something serious like that the fix blam posted works almost all the time.

SolMiester
07-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Remove the CD \ floopy disk from the drive.....LOL, we used to get this error when someone left a floopy in the drive...

wainuitech
07-04-2009, 03:02 PM
The link Blam posted - get the bootable floppy or CD - boot from it, windows should load, then run system restore back to the previous day - problem fixed.

Other wise if it doesn't work from that floppy/Cd - do you have UBCD4Windows - if so you can run system restore back Via that.

Myth
07-04-2009, 06:58 PM
make sure no usb devices or other potential boot devices are plugged in, my pc has a add in raid card and despite bios settings will try and boot off almost anything else given the chance.

I get this exact error when I leave my external hard drive turned on.Interesting. I know she has a USB lead connected to the rear USB port all the time, seldom does she use the camera it connects to though. I wonder if this is indeed the problem. The other thing I have just thought of, the printer has a card reader in it. Could this be doing it?

Remove the CD \ floopy disk from the drive.....LOL, we used to get this error when someone left a floopy in the drive...Lol. I bet. But no...

The link Blam posted - get the bootable floppy or CD - boot from it, windows should load, then run system restore back to the previous day - problem fixed.Apprently this has been doing it for ages. I was informed earlier this year of the problem (apparently, I remember no such convo lol)

Greven
07-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Run Hard Drive & Memory checks - if you have faulty hardware, the other fixes won't last long.