PDA

View Full Version : ADSL on a home network

21-06-2001, 11:44 AM
Scenario: Three guys in a flat have linked there machines up (Windows Homw Networking) and can split the cost for Jetstart.

What's the best way to get access for all machines without having to have one left on?

I know you can get DSL gateway routers for about $800. I hear cheaper ones can have trouble recognising network IP addresses. Can anyone give me some info?

21-06-2001, 01:46 PM
Go for the Nokia M1122 which has 4 RJ45 ports so you can just network all computers to the ADSL router

But be careful as I think you will get charged per mb on jetstart if you have more than one computer plugged in.

go for Jetstream if you can as you get full speed and you can use as many pc as you like.

Hope this helps

Best buy for adsl routers go to www.acquire.co.nz

21-06-2001, 03:36 PM
The Nokia M1122 would suit your needs just fine, you can use the M1122 as your hub, and uses DHCP for your connections. The difference between Jetstream and jetstart is all handled at the exchange end anyways. have used the cheaper Nokia I500 as well, but this means all machines have to have a dedicated IP number, and lose connection on a regular basis too... Recommend the M1122, simple to install and run, worth the buck, and more importantly, hasstle free. Recommend jetstart as well, i imagine you guys are gonna be downloading a bunch of stuff, so you'll chew through the 600MB plan on jetstream realy fast...

21-06-2001, 11:59 PM
Thanks for your help guys

23-06-2001, 06:39 PM
No Jetstart is flat rate and how many users in your own home is your own business. Telecom don't really care about Internet Connection Sharing. You have your throughput limit and the rest is up to you.

14-08-2001, 08:13 PM
Roger doesnt know crap. So next time Roger, please do your research before you mis-inform thru public forums such as this. And if you don't know, don't guess/assume please.

Read the other post who responded to Rogers b*llsh*t. He's 100% right!

subr0sa