PDA

View Full Version : Sony Camcorder Backup

Peacock
04-04-2009, 07:18 PM
I have a Sony Camcorder Hi Definition HDR SR10E It is fantastic. I have got Sony Picture Motion Browser on my computer and all my photos and videos are on that and I can burn DVDs etc In Hi def ( AVCHD) or Standard Def. But I dont want to have hundreds of DVDs I would rather just back up to a external Hard Drive , so then ,I would have everything on my computer and also an external hard drive. Only problem is, that, on the External Hard Drive I have all the photos but the videos dont seem to be in a format that is recognised, they are (m2ts and moff and modd files ????). I been thru all the handbooks on line and everything, but cant find anything, Surely I can back up onto an External Hard drive????
Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
04-04-2009, 07:26 PM
There's software for converting to other formats, and editing under software here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD)

Blam
04-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Seems like there is not free software that can convert them:(

Premiere and Vegas can do it....most high end video editors

Blam

Bantu
04-04-2009, 08:46 PM
AVCHD is a compressed format, just burn the files to DVD's or DVD-DL's. Your not going to get them any smaller without loosing quality.

You could rar them up if you want to that will not damage them. You should be able to edit them later with any software that can handle AVCHD files. Nero Vision, Pinnacle even the Adobe Premiere CS4 can handle those files now.

The photos should not be a problem they are just standard jpegs according to the manual.

AVCHD is a joint MPEG format created by Sony and Panasonic, although Sony software could not originally edit AVCHD movies filmed on a Panasonic camera, although they might have fixed that by now.

paulw
05-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Seems like there is not free software that can convert them:(

Premiere and Vegas can do it....most high end video editors

Blam

A cheaper solution may to use Ulead VideoStudio. You can download a 30 day trial.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1175714228541#versionTabview=tab1&tabview=tab0