PDA

View Full Version : DVD DISKS

olldaddy78
31-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Please tell me the difference between a
DVD -R
DVD -RW

I understand that the RW is now becoming obsolete but is this true?
THANKS

Speedy Gonzales
31-03-2009, 05:05 PM
RW arent obselete, or becoming obselete. They're not that reliable as backup media. Most burners support + and -. The only diff with + and - are, write to them you cant format them. Or write / add to them again (if you finalise them)

RW you can erase/format.

wainuitech
31-03-2009, 05:06 PM
The main difference, without getting all technical is DVD-R means you can write data to it, and you can keep adding till the disc is full. You would be surprised how many people think you can only write data once and can add no more at a later date.

Once written it cant be removed.

DVD-RW - means you can write data to it, then wipe it again,and start again.

RW's have a HIGH failure rate, they are crap. The idea behind them may be right - but I wouldn't trust ANY RW disc.

bellbird
01-04-2009, 04:16 PM
The main difference, without getting all technical is DVD-R means you can write data to it, and you can keep adding till the disc is full. You would be surprised how many people think you can only write data once and can add no more at a later date.

oops :blush:

pctek
01-04-2009, 04:40 PM
The main difference, without getting all technical is DVD-R means you can write data to it, and you can keep adding till the disc is full. .

So long as you don't finalise it.

Agent_24
01-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah, only if you do multisession. If you write a single thing and close the disc you're not writing anything else to it

What really annoys me are the people who think if you do a "close/finalize disc" on a CD/DVD-RW you can no longer erase it.... :badpc:

wainuitech
01-04-2009, 05:25 PM
So long as you don't finalise it. Yeah thats true - I didn't put that part in - personally I cant remember the last time I finalized a CD or DVD, Apart from a DVD move - thats different.