PDA

View Full Version : Installing additional drive on old 486 which uses SCSI(hard drive)??

20-06-2001, 06:19 PM
This old 486 used to be a server so its components are surprisingly reliable. The hard drive is a SCSI 500mb. I have installed a small(515mb) drive sharing the IDE feed from CD ROM. How do I get the system to recognise it so I can format etc. It is set to master and CD ROM to slave, is that right? The BIOS says that number 1 and 2 hard drives are not installed, but obviously there is one, it runs well thru SCSI.
PS: Why would this machine have 6 SCSI connections?
Thanks

21-06-2001, 02:14 PM
Have you gone into bios and tried to get the drive detected in the ide section?

go here for some good info on ide/scsi etc..

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/support.html

23-06-2001, 12:55 AM
hi Scotty,

being a 486 you will likely have to go into the bios, and type in the number of cyclinders, heads, etc that the drive has. If the specs aren't on a sticker on the drive you may have to use a search engine to locate this info. The computer will be unable to autodetect this drive. I suggest you keep the primary partition on the drive limited to 504MB as you computer may not be able to boot off it otherwise.
Even old SCSI controllers support 6 devices, each device on the chain has an ID number starting from 0 with the controller usually being on 7. Newer SCSI can support more devices than this. If your boot sequence in the BIOS is set to C before SCSI, and yet it persists in booting off the SCSI drive then you may need to disable the SCSI bios, (this basically means the drive cannot be accessed until a driver has been loaded for it within the OS) On Adaptec brand cards you can enter the configuration by pressing Ctrl-A as the machine is booting prior to the OS starting. You may need to do a litte research on the net about what type of SCSI card you have.
Good luck!!

23-06-2001, 08:11 AM
Excellent, that sounds like the most likely scenario.

Cheers.